Content > Art

Favorite Inking Pens

(1/4) > >>

JM:
Alrighty, I've used every pen type listed above (among several others) but I still have to find one that doesn't bleed when I color with my Prismacolor markers.

I give the piece a good waiting time between inking, erasing pencil lines, and coloring but this still happens. (so sad) :(

I'm not very good with the traditional pen & nib inking sets, so no suggestions for that please. I'd prefer to find a good technical pen set.

Thanks~  :)

Xepher:
I always used micron pens, since that's what came with the "engineering supplies package" freshman year, and as I changed majors after only one semester... well, needless to say the entire set is practically unused still. I wasn't a huge fan of them artistically. They work great tracing lines against straight edges and such, but the ones I have seem to have a tiny ball-point, and when freehanding anything, I tend to hold my tools at a pretty flat/sideways angle and suddenly I'm scratching the paper instead of drawing on it. I may not be the best to ask though... I suck at art, and the only tool I actually enjoy using is a pencil. :-)

JM:
Yeah, I absolutely despise inking. I have slightly shaky hands and I spook easy, so someone could just say hello and my hand will just jerk all over the paper.  :-\

Micron pens are the easiest to get... weird thing is, I actually like to write with the .05 one. But drawing/inking with one? Absolute hell for me. Hahaha

Xepher:
If I were to be doing art... I'd do everything past the pencil digitially. (If I had a good tablet, I'd even do that digital.) Inking by hand just seems a waste of time to me, as you're trying to clean up and solidify something already there. That is, you're pretty much just tracing.

Here's an example... This is a sketch by Ashley (a xepher.net member who's not around much these days.)

We were thinking about collaborating on a comic project a few years ago, and I wanted to test out my digital inking/coloring skills, figuring if she could do the sketching, I could do that part, and it'd go faster.

The cool thing about that inking... it's entirely in vector. That is, it can be resized to any scale and still look just as clean, lines can be bent/moved and redone all you want. Likewise, it's perfectly "digital" in that the transparent areas are really transparent (not white/grey) like a paper scan is. That makes it really easy to color, as it can be done behind-the-lines. The really cool part though, was that it was almost entirely automated. The only thing I actually "traced" were the shaded/dark-color areas on Bast (the one in color.) All the actual "ink" lines were traced automatically in Inkscape. All I had to do was adjust a few settings until it looked right, then I could just use the bucket tool to fill in colors, and then, as I said, hand (mouse) paint the darker patches of color. I really like how the style turned out... it keeps the "sketchy" look, while still giving very clean and dark lines. There's quite a lot of variety you can get though, using only the automated stuff. For more control/finesse though, you can always adjust the lines manually as well. The above picture could obviously use some tweaking... several lines extend out too far, or come up short, but you'll notice all those "mistakes" are in the original sketch as well. I just wanted to test/demo the fast/automated process to see how much work it would be to produce a regular comic using such methods.

Anyway, not sure any of that helps you in your search for pens, but inking seemed at least semi-on-topic. :-)

JM:
Oh my I just realized that you replied. Sorry!

Vector inking is really fun, fast, and great for making prints. I used to ink in Flash MX before I switched to painting digitally instead. (Now I just ignore having nice lines and paint right over the sketch, haha)

Say, what's Inkscape? I love giving new programs a chance. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version