News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Weird Spaces

Started by Miluette, January 31, 2010, 04:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miluette

Ohh web design bugs me so much sometimes!

I've noticed for a while that on some of my sites (like Millennium http://millennium.senshuu.com), once the page finishes loading, there's a weird space between the very top of the content area and the top of the web browser area, where there shouldn't be one. (This happens for most of my layouts that are designed to always touch the very top of areas.) Like, the space pops in as soon as the page finishes loading.

I'm thinking there's some kind of Javascript code I'm using that might be causing this, because it didn't always happen. Also, when you navigate to any other page on the site the space goes away and won't come back unless you're just loading up the site in a tab/browser window for the first time.

I know it's not just my PC since it happens in all browsers on any PC, so I'm wondering just what might be causing it and how to fix it. Hurrrm.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

Try setting your top/bottom margin of your body tag.

Edit: Actually, I ran some debugging tools on your HTML/CSS, try looking at the attfc CSS class.  That seems to be the cause of all your top space issues. :)
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Miluette

The what wha? That's not something I defined in my stylesheets. Now I have to figure out what's causing that. e__e

Miluette

Derp. I saw you sent me an offline IM about this, and when I IMed you again later you weren't there apparently. :V

Databits

Nah, right now I'm in school and work a lot, so even when I'm online I don't have a ton of time to spend on things like this.  Try just adding CSS for that in your stylesheet, it looks like something being auto-added to the top of your page.  What you may try doing is adding this to your CSS file:

#attfc { display: none !important; }

Edit: Actually I don't see it anymore, but it looked like a div with ad content in it auto-added to the code.
(o.O)    

Miluette

Ah. I tried adding that to my stylesheets but it's still happening. It's driving me maaaad!

Thanks for helping me though. If you can think of anything else let me know...XD

Miluette

Oh, one more thing. We had a hunch that Project Wonderful was causing the space, but it also happens on this site, which is devoid of PW code: http://tarot.senshuu.com

*pulls out hair*

EDIT: Oh, you think Google Analytics might be doing it? I have that code inserted into all the pages that do this, too. Hmmm.

Xepher

Like Data said, it's atffc, and it's referencing a flash "button" or some such at this URL

http://bin.clearspring.com/at/v/1/button1.6.swf

Does that ring any bells for what might add that?

Databits

Hmm, it's definitely JS that's adding it, so my CSS fix probably won't do much (as it'd add it and probably enforce its own style in the process).

As I said in AIM, I see you're using jQuery, so you COULD use your own JS to combat it if you wanted to:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
 jQuery(document).ready(function() {
   jQuery('#attfc').hide();
 });
</script>

Which I'd add right before the </body> tag of the HTML.  You're other alternative is to just flat out find what's adding it and kill it.

Edit: As I mentioned in AIM, this is another script injecting this into your site:
http://s7.addthis.com/js/200/addthis_widget.js
(o.O)    

Miluette

Ah yes, I tried adding that now and it seems not to work! D:

fesworks

Are you using WordPress? It's been happening on my sites too (PSI, Ardra) I use Webcomic and Inkblot... not sure if there is a relation. appears to happen random. I don't use widgets. It's not been a big deal for me though.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

It happens on WP and non-WP sites. Basically, everywhere I put the AddThis button into the code, and it loads in some little javascript button thingy at the top of the page when it's done loading. :B

AddThis is so handy, I don't want to remove it...