The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.
I'm interested in attaching some sort of blog or news box to the main page of my site, for posting about updates, commentary on individual pages, etc. While this seems to be a fairly common feature of webcomic sites, all the ones I've seen have been in php, which I have virtually no knowledge of. I have considered using a wordpress site, which has this built in, but it's awfully restrictive about what the rest of the page looks like. Are there any other canned scripts available for this? Or would I be better off putting the blog on a separate page altogether?(seems to be another common strategy)
Thanks for the tip. I've seen a couple of archive scripts around; some of then do look worth giving a try.
As for a schedule, the current plan is to update once a week. I may try to move to twice a week at some point in the future, but it's more likely to stay at weekly. A page takes about five or six hours from start to finish, so anything more frequent than that just doesn't look feasible right now.
Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, I know there isn't much in the way of competed pages yet, it's the coloring that takes so long. But I do have a pretty good buffer of sketched and inked pages I could post, if those count for anything.
Wow, I wasn't expecting any replies this quickly. In answer to your questions:
1) Five pages completed, with several more sketched.
2) The idea and characters have been around for about four years, but it's only recently that I've been able to pull it together into something coherent enough that I could start making pages. I have most of the first chapter thumbnailed and scripted, which comes out as about twenty pages. It's definitely going to be a long-term project; I have the plot pretty well worked out for about two years worth of updates, and a rougher idea for after that.
3) The website will most likely be mainly about the comic, though I plan to have a section for unrelated art as well.
4) There's just a few more things left to do with the site, so I can probably have something to show within the week.
5) I haven't used FTP much, but I have a pretty good idea of how it works. SSH I've never used.
6) I don't have that much complete just yet, but can post the sketches for a good portion of the first chapter. Would that suffice?
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'll try to have all the necessary material ready as soon as possible.
As far as web design goes, I'm still fairly inexperienced. However, I do have a pretty good idea of how to use html and css, and am currently in the process of putting together a webpage that, while simple, should work well enough for the time being. Again, I've never done anything quite like this before, so it's all still a big learning process.
Thanks for your time reading this. This looks to be a wonderful service and a very friendly community; I'm very much excited about the possibility of joining it.