News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Xepher.net Is Moving Again

Started by Xepher, May 14, 2014, 07:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

So it's been several years since the last server move. In that time, the current datacenter has been bought out twice. Originally, it was "The Planet" then "Softlayer" and now it belongs to IBM. In all that time, hosting prices have come down and bandwidth has gone up, so in the next few days or so, I'm planning to migrate to a new host. I think I can squeeze us into a Linode VPS that will save me $85/month. On paper it should be faster and better in all respects except disk space. I'm going to poke at it for a bit though, and see how it holds up.

When the migration finally happens, it should be "transparent" to end users. Site owners may find themselves locked out for a few hours while a final file sync is done, and MySQL will likely be put in read-only mode for the final few minutes of transfer. I'll try to do all this in off hours as much as possible of course.

I'll post another announcement when things are done, and then you can all yell at me about the things I screwed up or forgot. :-)

Tornleaf