News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

New Server

Started by Xepher, May 29, 2014, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Move is complete... at least as far as I can tell. This was a completely new installation on a new, virtual server, with all data migrated by hand. I apologize for the two hours or so of interruptions overnight, but I think most things are working now. I'm sure I'll have overlooked something though, so please let me know if you run into any problems. Email was especially irksome, so it may be best if you post below, just in case it's still wonky.

With the new server, I noticed a lot of spam was being sent via automated wordpress and other things. Apparently at some point I upgraded something and forgot to lock the email back down as I had in the past. I've done that again now, so if you're having errors with your PHP scripts being unable to send mail, you may not have a properly configured .esmtprc file. See this post for details: http://xepher.net/forum/index.php?topic=626.msg6855#msg6855

Also, you will get warnings about the SSH server key having changed. This is expected as it's a new server. Likewise, the cert for SSL email (imap/smtp) and https has changed as well. This is self signed and will generate warnings. This is expected, but obviously don't trust my server with your credit card info and stuff. :-)

tapewolf

Right, I just got an SSH error, that would explain it.  Figured I should check before I replaced the key.

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

Yes, you will see a new SSH server key (and warning about identification) but your private keys should still work. I considered migrating the old server key, but this is an entirely new system, and it was time to generate one of the fancy new elliptical-curve based ones anyway.

tapewolf

I forgot to ask, does this mean we have IPV6 capability yet?

Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

The server does have IPv6 networking now. That said, I haven't had a chance to play around with it and experiment, and so DNS and other systems aren't yet set up for it.

tapewolf

Quote from: Xepher on June 10, 2014, 10:56:20 AM
The server does have IPv6 networking now. That said, I haven't had a chance to play around with it and experiment, and so DNS and other systems aren't yet set up for it.

Right.  It would be nice to have if you can get it going.

Xepher

I don't have IP6 from my own ISP, so my motivation isn't huge on it right now. That said, I do plan to get it working for the server anyway, but it may be a little bit. Really busy for the next few weeks. Feel free to ping me here to remind me though.

kschnee

I just got a message from someone who had been using my Python script at http://kschnee.xepher.net/cgi-bin/magic_system.py and lately found it's down. (So are the others in that directory.) I hadn't checked on that or the other scripts in that directory in a long time, so I did just now: 500 Internal Server Error. Do I need to reconfigure how CGI scripts work, maybe? I haven't changed the scripts lately.

By the way, I've had a small MediaWiki running for a while for a story project, but due to total lack of feedback I'd been thinking of taking it down. Someone suggested that since I haven't actively tried to keep it patched, it's probably become a security risk. My current plan is to visit it in Linux (on the theory that if anything malicious has been slipped in, it's most likely to target Windows), grab the text, and delete the wiki.

Oh, and I notice that the SSH prompt now says "cloudsdale". I approve. =)

Xepher

It looks like your scripts don't work with python3. You can change the shebang to run them with /usr/bin/python2 (which is 2.7) instead of just /usr/bin/python (which is now python 3.3).

As for the wiki... yeah, you should probably be okay with that. I doubt that even if it is compromised, that it's anything horribly malicious, or I probably would've had complaint about it by now.

As for the server name, heh. I always think of server names like code names, and Intel has a long running history of naming CPUs with "dale" in them. Wolfdale, Kentdale, Grantsdale, etc. Then I thought, the new server is a VM in the "cloud" and I should so something with that. Obviously, once that connection was made it was basically impossible NOT to call it "Cloudsdale." Not that I wouldn't probably have found some other way to wedge a pony reference into it if that one hadn't worked so easily. :-)

schwarzkreuz

I'm getting a "warning remote host identification has changed!" But fugu won't let me sign in after that, it just keeps going back to the sign in screen.

Xepher

There should be a way to delete the old host key. I'm not sure with fugu, but generally, there's a file in your home directory, inside the (hidden) .ssh folder called "known_hosts" You can basically just delete this, then it should treat it as a new server, not one that changed, and ask you to accept the new key the first time you connect.