News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Weird Message

Started by danieljswan, August 30, 2022, 06:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danieljswan

Hi Xepher:

When I tried to access my site earlier I was greeted with a weird message that read:
For security, this account has been disabled. If this is your site, please contact the xepher.net administrator to have your account unlocked.

find enclosed a screenshot I took and any help to get this resolved would be great

thanks

Daniel Swan
Through Daniel's Lens

(http://throughdanielslens.xepher.net/)

Xepher

So... yeah. First off, sorry about that. But over the past few days, the traffic to your site shot through the roof starting about 6 days ago. Unfortunately I was out of town for the last 5 and didn't get to look into it until last night, and was planning to take a longer look at it after work today. Long story short, I think your wordpress install was under heavy attack. There were hundreds of gigabytes of traffic going to a few dozen eastern european and russian IPs, and all of those were continually sending dozens of comments and login attempts every minute. Over a full terabyte of traffic already went to your site before I locked it down. I hope by turning it off for a day or so, it'll kick it out of the botnet's list of targets and maybe the problem will be resolved.

I'm emailing you for further discussion.