News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

would you rather?

Started by thefemnazi, October 19, 2005, 12:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Heh... I dress up in armor and the works every month for my LARP. :P
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

griever

The 80s are currently happening in Japan...I suspect that the culture trend will move to the US soon. *cries*
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

I guess it's a good thing I never follow trends eh?
(o.O)    

Gwyn

Well as long as it gets rid of the emo trend I'm good.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Lei

I don't get it... what's the difference between emo and goth? A LITTLE confused over here O_o
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Databits

Actually there is a bit of difference. Goth people are not all emotional, most simply see things a little different than most other people. It's a social group, just like any other social group.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Or if you want the cynical approach, we'll do the scorecard, listing the winner in each category.

Ankhs: Goth
Converse Shoes: Emo
Excessive Eyeshadow: Goth
Excessive Lyrics: Emo
Thick-leather Tomes: Goth
Thick-rimmed Eyeglasses: Emo
Delusions of Self-Vampireness: Goth
Delusions of Self-Enlightenment: Emo
Ear Piercings: Goth
Face Piercings: Emo
Marilyn Manson: Goth
Coheed and Cambria: Emo
Leftover Metal Fans: Goth
Leftover Swing Fans: Emo
Most Likely To Kill Self (And write bad poetry about it first): Goth
Most Likely To Kill Self (And write whiny songs about it first): Emo

I think that about covers it. Basically, emo is goth without the occultic symbolism. Conversely, Goth is pretty much emo without the conformity.

For further info one should, as always, check wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth

EDIT: Just saw the most hilarious distinction. "They are a lot like Goths, but less Marilyn Manson and more Harry Potter."

griever

Oh dear...Japan seems to love the emo....

Emo kids have those little wrist/arm things too, right?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

Poor Japan.

[rant]
Bah... Emo is for people who can never see the better side to life. Many "emo" people I know stay indoors and hide in the dark in their rooms, then complain that they are depressed all the time. Eventually some end up on some sort of anti-depressant pills that just, OMG, don't seem to help them. Then expect everyone to feel sorry for them.

Well no shit! Sitting in a dark room on the internet or in the corner listening to music all day isn't good for you. Believe it or not, sunlight (in non-excessive quantities) is actually good for you. So is movement and healthy food. My complaint is, if life is so bad, don't take the cowards way out. Nobody is going to come and make decisions for you. It's all up to you to change the way your life is. Right?

When people just sit around and complain about thier life without trying to do anything about it. Then turn to me and complain that they hate their life and expect for me to feel sorry for them. It pisses me off. Plain and simple, I have no problem with trying to help someone, so long as they have the ambition to help themselves.
[/rant]
(o.O)    

Lei

haha... a lot of teenagers I know are like that, cept they can be preps, nerds and jocks too sometimes (loosely based on stereotypes, I think) the fact is, that is the majority of teenagers' problem solving technique; sit back, whine, don't give a damn of the reasons and expect everyone to agree.

ah... the emo song. http://emosong.ytmnd.com/ ha ha...
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Tangle

Oh goodness.  I think I know that girl bottom second to the left.  As in, she's one of my LJ friends.  Haha.  And that guy bottom left with the lip length hair over his eyes has some serious split ends.

Gwyn

Being a greesy slob these days is popular too apprently. When I was in highschool I wanted to scream at half the guys to cut/wash their hair. Or at least shave that fluf they call facial hair of their faces.

Databits

Quote from: GwynBeing a greesy slob these days is popular too apprently. When I was in highschool I wanted to scream at half the guys to cut/wash their hair. Or at least shave that fluf they call facial hair of their faces.
The problem with shaving the lighter fluff is that it comes back thicker. I deliberately never shaved because I don't want thick facial hair. Really... I'd rather deal with the light can't see it stuff than the thick daily maintenance stuff. My head is another question though. I can't stand going a day without a shower as greesy hair just feels damn uncomfortable to me.

As for hair cuts... for some time I was keeping it cut short, but now I'm growing it back out. For a reason... See when I had longer hair my grandma always complained about it, how she didn't like it and I should cut it. I couldn't go near her without her making some comment about it. Eventually I had it cut, and she was happy for a few... till she found out about kanar. Now she complains about that on a constant basis like she did my hair. So now I'm growing it back out just to spite her. My reaction when she complains is going to be along the lines of, "Why should I cut it? Last time I did that you just found something else that I do to complain about. So why bother? I'm sick of the complaining! Deal with it." Then sit and watch to see what the reaction is.

Yeah, the greesy slob part is kinda lame too. Kinda goes hand in hand with the people who want to sit and complain but not do anything. Granted I do sit on a computer A LOT, mostly is coding something or doing homework (geeze it's my college major for goodness sake :lol:). But I also have a life outside it. I love sparring with padded weapons and hanging out with friends. Hell I just went to the Animania con in Ann Arbor this last week, even though they didn't really show anything any good and it pretty much all sucked.
(o.O)    

Gwyn

Ok, fine you don't shave it because you're lazy, which I'm not fond off, but I'll accept that :p. The guys who sport their fluff as mighty signs of their manhood because they can finaly spring a few hairs on their faces, that's what anoys me. The guys have these ratty mustaches and beards but neber shave them because they don't want to be hairless on ther faces (although I'm sure some of it boils down to lazyness). I knew one guy who had a ratty gotee(sp?) so he DID shave, just not the stuff that looked like crap.

My problem with the hair is that I see a boy from behind and think it's a girl :(. I mean, men can handle long hair and pull it off, boys can't. That's my oppinion :p

Who's/what's kanar?

Xepher

That song is awesome. Can't believe I hadn't seen that before now.