News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

i think i locked myself out

Started by griever, October 22, 2005, 02:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

Hey, Xepher, I think I locked myself out this weekend.  I have no way of FTP'ing except through IE and now, every time I type in ftp.xepher.net, it freezes. :(  I had a small crisis of divs this weekend and I kept uploading things to see if I had fixed the problem.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

Try using just windows explorer. Open My Computer and type in ftp://ftp.xepher.net/ (I've found that ftp://xepher.net/ also works fine). Then just put in your username and password like you would in any other FTP client.

You may also refer to the other post and use SSH to log into your account as well. SSH is far more secure than FTP anyhow (although unless it's really sensitive data that your transfering I suppose it makes little difference). Check into it, as SSH also allows you to do other things that you simply can't do in an FTP client. ;)
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Data... don't confuse SSH with SCP. SSH is Secure SHell. SCP is Secure CoPy. They both go over the same port/protocol, but you can't copy files with SSH alone. While in linux is unheard of to have one without the other, in windows you have to download each seperately anyway. What you want for file copy is http://winscp.sourceforge.net

Databits

Actually you could download SSH Secure Shell for windows from http://ssh.com/ and get both all rolled into one.
(o.O)    

Xepher

ewwww... SSH from the actual SSH people! :-)

griever

Thanks, guys...I think the problem was with the school though.  ^^;
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Glennoar

I think I've actually logged myself out; I can't connect to either accounts.  I've tried IE, SmartFTP, Coffeecup FTP, etc.  It tells me that the connection keeps being reset and to make sure I have permission to access the folder.

Xepher

Have you tried winscp as mentioned above? It uses SCP, not FTP, so the underlying stuff is totally different, and often works when FTP doesn't.

Glennoar

Hmm, not yet.  Is there a reccommended program I download for it?

Databits

I posted a SSH/SCP client link above that would work fine.
(o.O)