News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Some funny stuff!

Started by Databits, November 03, 2005, 04:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Ok ok... go to google and do a search for the word failure

notice the very first thing that comes up.... and the word failure is NOT located anywhere on that page. >.>
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Okay, that is pretty amusing. But if you view the cached version of the page, google explains that the world failure "only appears in links pointing to this page."

Of course, the second result is funny as well...  Michael Moore!

Interestingly enough, there's a notice where the ads usually are on google, stating "These results may seem politically slanted. Here's what happened" with a link to googleblog explaining things. Seems a bunch of liberal webmasters got together and basically spammed their own sites with the word failure linking to that page. "Googlebombing" they call it.

Lei

yeah, you get that when clicking "I'm feeling lucky!" too.

All they did was make like, a hundred or so pages that all have "failure" link pointing there. a teacher of mine told me about it, apparently they've done it before.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Kestenvarn

I've heard about this... it's called googlebombing or something of the sort, where a bunch of folks link to a site using certain descriptions in order to mess with search engines.

Xepher

LEI: Isn't that what I said?
KESTENVARN: Isn't that what I said?

:-)

Lei

I thought you said first link *shrugs* must've been tired.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Xepher

Heheh... no worries, it's just funny seeing everyone repeat the same thing.

thefemnazi

can i googlebomb and make all searches for "crazy" lead to my personal site, my LJ, and my fave sites?  This would be listed in fave sites, btw.  How does one googlebomb?
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Xepher

Well, you just get a few thousand of your closest friends (who also have websites) to link the word "crazy" to your site a whole lot.

Databits

At one time the word hell was googlebombed to the Microsoft website too.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Miluette

XD rofl...that's great. Wow. I didn't know...people actually did that.

Did an image search too...
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Kestenvarn

Quote from: XepherKESTENVARN: Isn't that what I said?
Whoops, didn't see that.

Quote from: DatabitsAt one time the word hell was googlebombed to the Microsoft website too.
Appropriate...