News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Comics

Started by Xepher, November 10, 2005, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

"Angriest Black Man in America"...I thought Chris Rock used to be called that.  Poor guy, he losing his title. :P

Teen Titans and all those others...Winqs (or something like that), and stuff...blah.  I am definitely a polar person here...I either like full anime style, full Marvel/DC style, but not the middle ground.  They're just too separate styles to marry well, IMHO.  I kind of miss the old X-men and Batman cartoons...none of the new stuff.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Lei

I miss the old disney cartoons.

I am concluding that the penguins and the asian are taking over the world.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

tickyhead

Someone stop the bandwagon, I wanna get off!! Much as I hate to admit it being a pseudo-anime artist myself, everything is anime style now, and it sucks.

To be honest I started drawing anime style because I liked how beautiful, yet still cartoony, it could be if used properly (not in the big-boobed, physics-defiying, giant robot way that you see eeeeeeverywhere). I had no idea it was taking over the world at the time, but I shoulda figured it out. I kinda wish I could draw in a more western style, but for now I guess I'm stuck with it (in other words, I suck less at pseudo-anime).

I reeeeeally wish I wasn't stuck on a bandwagon with so much hate against it too. :/ Just because some kids act all hyper and draw generic anime characters and constantly use the only three japanese words they know, that doesn't mean we all do.

I miss the old disney cartoons too. And the cool, Chuck Jones-era looney toons, they were awesome.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

tickyhead

oh, and on the subject of comics:
http://iperyys.net/ssos/enkkukenkku.html

there's a strange one, alright. something about elves and raisins killing people P: I can grasp most of it by now, but some of it's still waaaaaaaay out there.

Xepher

You're right... that is bizzare.

SilentFyre

Okay well someone beat me to sinfest.

Im not sure exactly how populare MacHall is, but the art is fantastic and some of the themes very amusing. However, they have been slacknig on updates. http://www.machall.com/

Inverloch has AMAZING art that reminds me of animation for some reason. The story is well thought out and it gets updates regularly as well.  http://www.seraph-inn.com/

I probably have more but at the moment I can't recall which ones.

Miluette

Quote from: tickyheadSomeone stop the bandwagon, I wanna get off!! Much as I hate to admit it being a pseudo-anime artist myself, everything is anime style now, and it sucks.

To be honest I started drawing anime style because I liked how beautiful, yet still cartoony, it could be if used properly (not in the big-boobed, physics-defiying, giant robot way that you see eeeeeeverywhere). I had no idea it was taking over the world at the time, but I shoulda figured it out. I kinda wish I could draw in a more western style, but for now I guess I'm stuck with it (in other words, I suck less at pseudo-anime).

I reeeeeally wish I wasn't stuck on a bandwagon with so much hate against it too. :/ Just because some kids act all hyper and draw generic anime characters and constantly use the only three japanese words they know, that doesn't mean we all do.

I miss the old disney cartoons too. And the cool, Chuck Jones-era looney toons, they were awesome.
I too am anime influenced!

I loved how different it was, how much deeper than American cartoons and comics it could be. I genuinely liked it, so I applied it to my style.

But it's really sad that it's everywhere now! Although I still haven't met many fans in person outside of cons, but anyway... It seems people are either for it or against it! Since it's a 50/50 thing, it'll hurt people like us as illustrators when we get out there, being yet another anime style, which is why I'm working on making my style less anime/more unique. ;x;

Oh, but the people who only think about stereotypes, the people who limit themselves...although they're hurting us and hurting manga, who cares about them? DX Remember, only the few are good, not the many.

Xepher! Boondocks is awesome. I loved the nigga moments. Its anime style is random but REALLY funny. (Anime styled nigga moment: the gun brawl <3) The women are cute. The eyes are huge, but oh well. (I like smaller eyed animes... like uh... Paranoia Agent)

I really hate Teen Titans. Well, not 100% hate, but so many things about it could be better, including exclusions of stupid manga ripoffs. <3

ANYWAY comics for you to read :D

http://chikara-z.xepher.net/pol The Pride of Life. Do not disregard it because it is anthromorphic. This is clean, and this is genuinely FUNNY. Also, well-written. R.F. has my sense of humor.

...Also, read mine. :D http://senshuu.com *shot*
/daily dose of pseudo-manga
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

tickyhead

oh, right, someone mentioned the Boondocks. No offence to anyone who likes it, but I couldn't stand to watch that for five minutes. The least they could have done was give it more fluid animation like avatar (I like that one! I don't care if it is a complete rip-off of anime, it's cool). Granted gramps isn't about to shoot fire from his hands and ride around on a giant six-legged flying bison-beaver thing, but you get the idea.

I still like the comics though, those are always a fun read on the sundays (the voidish day when almost NONE of my 120+ bookmarked webcomics update X_x)

Xepher

Quote from: SenshuuANYWAY comics for you to read :D

http://chikara-z.xepher.net/pol The Pride of Life. Do not disregard it because it is anthromorphic. This is clean, and this is genuinely FUNNY. Also, well-written. R.F. has my sense of humor.
Don't disregard it because it's anthropomorphic? Have you seen ANY of my avatars here? I'm a furry, so anthro is super-bonus! :-)

But wow... I can't believe that comic was sitting here, right under my nose on my own server, and I've never seen it before! How pathetic is that?

Aetre

www.noneedforbushido.com - Samuai humor and excellent artwork.

www.angelmoxie.com - ...Just read it. You'll get it.

www.vgcats.com - Cats and videogames and Krug. Oh my.
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

Xepher

Yeah, I think I also mentioned VG cats in the "no need to mention" bit at the start. :-) Really one of the funniest comics around, IMHO, even more so than penny arcade most of the time. Problem is that it's only once a week... and late even at that. Best one ever was this one.

Aetre

oh i know. but i'm a forum admin there. so i couldn't not mention it, y'see.

anyway, check out the other two. they've got huge archives and are very entertaining.

Lei

www.chugworth.com

hm, i thought it was slightly more popular than that but I could be wrong..It's not particularly my cup of tea, either, but it's got it's moments.

http://bleedman.snafu-comics.com/

hey, even if you disliked PPG, or any of the other morning cartoons, this thing's worth checking out. I just can't wait for it to get going again (Grim tales is interesting too, if not somewhat wrong on certain points)
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Aetre

powerpuff girls is more awesome than anyone ever expects before first watching it. quote from the Mayor: "I am NOT a sugardaddy! Those days are OVER!"

Xepher

I actually read chugworth already as well. It's... it's great art, but sometimes the plot/joke is just too thin. As for power puff girls... the less said the better :-)