News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

I Need some help

Started by Joichi, December 09, 2005, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joichi

Hello i'm new to this xepher.net hosting ^_^

I have been looking at many web designs... but my html knowledge is very slim... I would like some help on how i can come about designing my ideal web layouts:

what's the difference between a blog layout and web layout? o_o;
This is my first idea: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Soubi_kun/Web%20layout/web-layout.jpg

or i'd prefer this one if possible: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Soubi_kun/Web%20layout/web-layout2.jpg

Also for the site name, may i have a different title than my comic? Like what if the comic title is too common? like mine's called 'Heart and Soul' but i would like my website title to be 'Passion Fruit'?
"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away..."

Databits

In both situations there isn't enough contrast in the menu or links from the rest of the site in my opinion. You don't want things like that to blend into the design so much that they are difficult to find. For menus and links it's best to make things say, "hey look I'm different I'm something you can click on!" rather than "I'm just part of the background, don't mind me." ;)
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Joichi

Quote from: DatabitsIn both situations there isn't enough contrast in the menu or links from the rest of the site in my opinion. You don't want things like that to blend into the design so much that they are difficult to find. For menus and links it's best to make things say, "hey look I'm different I'm something you can click on!" rather than "I'm just part of the background, don't mind me." ;)
oohh cool! thank you for your good advice ^_^ hmm guess i should go and check out more designs before deciding... do you know any good website layouts that are eye-catching? :D
"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away..."

Databits

Normally I custom design and custom code pretty much any web stuff I do. I really have a bad habit of reinventing the wheel in a lot of cases too. hehe

So no... I really wouldn't know about any pre-made layouts. But in cases of here, it's usually best to be more original , at least that's what I thought...

On another note, I made the most useless game in my game programming class for the final project. Soon as I can get the damn thing to work correctly as a jar file, you can ALL play Tetris in 3D!... (yes I know it's been done, but not be me. :P).
(o.O)    

Xepher

Heheh... "Reinventing the wheel." Sounds familar. The problem is, most assembly line wheels these days suck! I often find I need to reinvent the wheel, for the simple fact that all the ones out there are "generic" wheels, and do a lot of things in a mediocre way. I need a wheel that does a very specific thing, but does it really well.

Wow... I just realized, I really DID reinvent the wheel once. I'm not joking. Highschool robotics team. One year the course had two ramps going up to the scoring area for the two teams. Each team was supposed to drop pieces into a bucket on their side of a scale/balance. The platform under the scale was seperated by a 4" divider to keep the robots from interfering too much with each other. I talked my team into cutting the wheels as 8-point stars, so that it was more like spinning legs than wheels. Let me tell you this much, the other team was VERY not happy when. After scoring only one point our robot, rather than returning for more scoring pieces, climbed up and over the "barrier" and blocked them from even getting up the ramp! By my senior year, 28 of 33 teams in our regional division were using my wheel design. Halfway through college, I went and watched the state-level competition (since it was at my college) and wouldn't you know it, 2/3 of the teams there used my wheels. :-)

Databits

That's pretty cool... about all I have to show for my highschool stuff is a still existant computer club that I was an original founding member for. I suppose I should drop in here and there and give some pointers on things some time eh?
(o.O)    

Tsunami-Yusa

Nice ideas. This will also involve Flash rollover skills. If you have that then you'll need the code. It won't be the regular 'img src' tag, it'll be something long. Like what people use for radioblogclub and cboxes. I can't help you with this, but if you really want this kind of layout. This is a lot of skills you're going to need to learn.
:) weird? :D