News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Xepher, January 15, 2006, 04:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Because this show needs it's own thread.

Time magazine's "Best of 2005" named Battlestar Galactica as the best show on television. The article starts with this bit.

QuoteBest of 2005: Televsion

-1-
Battlestar Galactica
(Sci Fi)

Most of you probably think this entry has got to be a joke. The rest of you have actually watched the show.
It's entirely true. BSG is the absolute best show on television, possibly the best show EVER on television. Like the Time author, I say that those of you who have seen it know what I'm talking about, those who haven't... http://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=battlestar+galactica&video=on

This is why I love science fiction. Finally there is a TV series that's as good as the good sci-fi books. I know it may sound stupid, but I know what I want to do with my life. I want to tell stories like that. I want to tell stories that inspire, stories that move, stories that enlighten. I want to tell stories about humanity.

squeakytoad

I hated that show.

I enjoy staring at this blowfish far more than watching BattleStar Galacica.

squeakytoad

And I am a SciFi fan.
I love all the Star Trek movies, Starge SG1 and Atlantis, and Star Wars (though the prequals suck).
I just am not interested in BSG.

Xepher

Normally I'd start a debate about here, but I won't. As they say, there's no accounting for taste. :-)

Moondancer

I'll split the line here. I liked the old Battlestar, but the new one....not so much.

tickyhead

Meh, I never really got into BSG, old or new, but hey "to each their own" I say. (this is also why I don't watch many awards shows.....) Cute blowfish though.

and moon you, like, totally stole my avatarness! omgar! :P
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

thefemnazi

I am here to state that I have never watched anything with Battlestar in the title.  Although, for the right friend, I would sit down for a marathon.  After all, it doesn't take much for me to get completely addicted to a good show.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Lei

"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Databits

BSG is pretty good but I still like the Stargate SG1 and Atlantis shows more. They have more imagination in them, and the story allows for pretty much anything to happen... in BSG it's always something limitied to pretty tight plot boundries.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

squeakytoad

Quote from: DatabitsBSG is pretty good but I still like the Stargate SG1 and Atlantis shows more. They have more imagination in them, and the story allows for pretty much anything to happen... in BSG it's always something limitied to pretty tight plot boundries.
Amen.
Stargate is good. Hallelujah.

alice

Quote from: DatabitsBSG is pretty good but I still like the Stargate SG1 and Atlantis shows more. They have more imagination in them, and the story allows for pretty much anything to happen... in BSG it's always something limitied to pretty tight plot boundries.
Not a fan of SG1 or Atlantis, although I find SG1 slightly more watchable now that Ben Browder has taken the place of Richard Dean Anderson. Then again, I'm a Farscape fan, so that might be why.

Now, Galatica-- that's a pretty glorious show. But is it just me, or has the bigger plot been foundering a bit the past couple of eps? Haven't had time to watch last week's yet, so it might have picked up again.

The old one was pretty good, just different.

Xepher

Yeah, I agree on the the last few episodes of BSG. I think they're realizing they have a mega-hit now, and are suddenly being more cautious about just completely changing the plot or killing off someone important all the time. The first season was such a riot because they had nothing to lose, so they did these crazy twists all over the place, and really focused on raw emotion. Now it's like they're undoing a lot of that. Like the president's cancer, wasn't having a terminal illness part of the prophecy stuff? Now she's cured. What's up with that? Oh well, it's still a great show, and I'll wait until they wrap up the season to judge.

As for SG1, while I liked having MacGuyver in it, Ben Browder is definitely the best replacement... the writers are doing a really good job of letting him keep the same sort of character he had in Farscape. Oh, and more good news, Claudia Black (Erin from Farscape) who did about the first 5-6 episodes of SG1 this season... she's signed on full-time for next season (as are the rest of the regular cast.) It's like they took my two favorite shows and combined them into one!

Databits

heh... I dunno, the few episodes I saw of BSG just seemed... so boring. Nothing really exciting happened, not enough to keep my attention.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

alice

So the question is, is Gaius a Cylon?

Xepher

ACK! Spoilers! No cable or broadband while I'm away from home! :-P