News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Teaching Stuffs

Started by Aetre, January 25, 2006, 01:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aetre

The following was shamelessly copy/pasted from my livejournal. I apologize if it seems like I'm bragging, but I'm just in a state of *squee* right now.

---

At our university, the students get the chance to do "course evaluations," wherein they grade their professors and teaching assistants. Well, I was a teaching assistant last semester, and the results of my students' comments are in.

A few formalities, first:

Part of the evaluation was scantron. A, B, C, D, and E are the grades (think of E as being equal to F on the normal grade scale). The second part was just any brief commentary the students had about the teaching assistant. All comments are anonymous and randomly ordered, and I am never told who voted for what in the scantron. That's as it should be, I think. Note that the entire evaluation is strictly optional and that nobody has to do it if they do not want to.

Now, without any further ado, the results:

---

PART ONE: SCANTRON

1. "The instructor's handling of the course (starting class on time, assigning work, returning graded work, etc.) was:"

Votes for A: 11
Votes for B: 0
C: 0
D: 0
E: 0

2. "Syllabi, homework, projects, and tests were appropriate to the course level:"

A: 7
B: 2
C: 2

3. "The instructor was approachable before or after class, and readily available through regular office hours or by appointment."

A: 6
B: 4
C: 1

4. "The instructor was respectful towards the students."

A: 8
B: 3

5. Overall, I would rate the instructor as:

A: 4
B: 7

6. Overall, I would rate this course as:

A: 3
B: 7
C: 1

---

In every single one of the above categories, I beat the averages for both undergraduate courses and the physics department.

Now, here's the commentary...

---

PART TWO: COMMENTS

7. "Please supply additional comments about the course or instructor here."

- "Physics is phun!"
- "Try and be a little more leniant with the grading."
- "The instructor was excellent."
- "Instructor did a great job of helping out students who were having trouble. Made the class time enjoyable by being friendly and engaging the class. He knew the material extremely well."
- "yello"
- "Everything was just fine."
- "Very helpful, and a fair grader."

---

I know it's a good thing to be anonymous and all, but seriously... who wrote "yello?"

Ah well.

I'm beaming right now.

Peace out, all.

---

I knew I could teach... I knew I could teach...
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

Xepher

Heheh... I write "yello" all the time. It's like yelling hello. "YELLO!"

But seriously, congrats, looks like you found something you're good at.

dragyn

Hmmm...never seen "yello" actually spelled out, but I say it like that some of the time.  Ok, a lot of the time.