News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

i've broken my site...again

Started by griever, January 31, 2006, 05:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

Hey, guys, I did a really stupid thing.  I was going to fix a bunch of typos in a table and thought that I could fix them in excel, then upload them into the table.  I fixed the typos, but I can't seem to get the file uploaded.  I thought I was being good...I saved each table as a csv (not for excel) file, with all the "" and ; so forth.  Whenever I try to do the import feature, it doesn't seem to work. :(  Can anyone help me?

EDIT:  I've been messing around with it for most of the afternoon...so far, my best luck has been:

EDIT:SQL code removed by admin... was screwing up sql in forum upgrade.

The 3 rows that get put in are blank.  Other variations include only one row with partial information, or no rows are put in, even though it says that the upload has been a success.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Umm... you haven't even mentioned WHAT you're importing this thing into? Are we talking a forum with an import feature or something?

griever

Oh, oops...it's the phpmyadmin tool....  But I got a friend to look at it and he said my CSV file was weird looking.  He said that if I open the file in Notepad though, I can just cut and paste the stuff back in it, then said I should save it as a sql file instead.

Xepher

Yeah... import into SQL has to be an SQL file, not CSV. CSV is just the values seperated by commas (Comma Seperated Values) SQL on the other hand is more like a script... it has all the commands (SQL "Statements") that you need to recreate a table. Unless PHPmyadmin has some trick of feature the translates CSV, then it won't work. I haven't used it in a while, so it might have that feature and I just don't know.

griever

Ahh...that would explain it.  I doubt I'll ever forget this lesson though...it was a stressful day and a half! ^_^