News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Ow! Very ow!

Started by Xepher, March 27, 2006, 01:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Went skiing today. Had a decent time, despite the blizzard-like conditions. Was on my last run down, got on just as they were closing that lift... Starting picking my way deep into the trees and off the trail. Saw a pine log that'd been setup for a rail slide. Went to try it... worked great the first few feet. Then gravity. Then ow. Then lots of ow.

Couldn't jump well enough off the rail as I slipped. Left tip went into the snow and stuck hard there. My body still had sideways momentum from the slide. Twisted my whole body about 270 degrees around that stationary ankle. Heard a nice "pop" in my foot, and then the next ten minutes are just a blur of me trying to catch my breath and praying I didn't break anything.

Realizing I was in the middle of nowhere, and it was the end of the day, I was gonna have to ski out on it. Thankfully nature's provided us this nifty thing called "shock" which gives you about 10-20 minutes of super-powers after a major injury. Made it to the highest road on the mountain, and had Will-san come pick me up. Shock started wearing off on the car ride. I'm still discovering entirely new realms of pain. I'm at the point now where the kitchen seems impossibly far away with how much it hurts to limp. I can't believe I actually skiied on this injury. I don't think it's broken, considering it could support my weight down the hill, but it's definitely pulled or (I hope not) torn something fierce.

I'm sure somewhere in my subconcious, I'm posting this for sympathy... but more so, it's because I figure, what good are injuries if you don't get to turn them into stories? :-)

Munerift

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that! You went and had it checked out though right?
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

tickyhead

OW. Jeez.....as mune said, you did get a proffesional to look at this, right?
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Xepher

Bah! I can't stand doctors, all they do is charge you lots of money to tell you something you probably already knew. "Yup, it's sprained." I mean, the fact that I skiied out on it was enough to prove it wasn't broken. And since it's not, there's really not much a doctor can do besides give you pain killers, and I don't respond to painkillers much, so it's kinda useless. But besides all that... the important thing is that I'm still young enough to be invincible. :-)

I'm walking on it today actually, even making it up/down stairs with out needing the handrail. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it seems to be getting better this fast, but the downside to mutant healing powers is that it lends credence to the "I am invincible" belief that most males my age have in their subconcious. As such, I'll probably do something even stupider next week. That's what happened last time I had a decent injury. I fractured my tailbone playing handball. Next week I was playing again, and did the exact same stupid mistake, and cracked it even worse. Oh well, life is such.

But yeah, feeling much better, so happy-happy joy-joy!

Republic

Hi,

Looks To Me Like A Personal Problem With Doctors.
Anyways, Hope you Feel Better.

~1~
Hard To Be Drug Free...
When Your Breathing Everything But Oxygen.

Gwyn

Doctors in Canada don't charge you for telling you something you already know!
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Munerift

..now that would be a nice thing!
I'm Home!

Xepher

Quote from: GwynDoctors in Canada don't charge you for telling you something you already know!
Yes, but in America, you can buy gasoline for about half the price compared to Canada. As I spend about $100/month in gasoline, it would cost me another $100/month if I was in Canada. That's like a free doctor visit every month if I wanted, but if I don't want, then I get to keep the money. :-)

Not that I dislike Canada, it's just that, not liking doctors to begin with, socialized medicine holds little appeal for me.

Munerift

Well I hate gas prices too.. ...only I spend $200 a month in gas MYSELF. EEEEEK. But then again I am having to pay $2.45 a gal too. >_<
I'm Home!

cha0s

damn xeph, glad its gettin better.

when you were talking about shock and superhuman powers, i thought of that one dude who cut his arm off( with a dull knife ) when it was caught under a rock =o Crazy.
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard

Gwyn

Personaly I'd rather pay for health care if it ment actully GETTING HEALTH CARE. I can't stand waiting in a waiting room for 6 hours while people with nothing wrong clog up the room and time because they have a scratchy throat.

Better yet, people on welfare like come into town and get their gas paid for because the group of them take turns faking problems and going to the hospital.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Databits

Ooooo ouch... Sorry to hear that, hope ya get better soon.

Speaking of painfull stories I've got one too, but this happened quite a few years ago:

I used to own a moped when I was younger. I used it to drive to work and whatnot (at the time, you could get a moped license at 14 years old, even if you couldn't get a normal drivers license for a car).

Well, I live on a dirt road, and one day the township decided to grate said road to get rid of the potholes. Well the nice thing about a grated dirt road is that it's a nice smooth ride, no dodging potholes or anything. The downside is, as I discovered, loose dirt and gravel don't make for a nice smooth stop.

So I was going about 30 MPH down the road, heading home. When I got to my house, I began to hit the brake (no I didn't slam it), then the ouch. The moped went down on it's side, taking me with it, dragging me for about a 25 foot distance till it and I stopped. Lucky for me, I happened to be out in front of my house, but that 10-20 min shock super power thing didn't quite work for me, I couldn't stand up. I had to literally drag myself, using my left arm, to the house, up the porch steps, and to the door to bang on it to get people's attention.

Now the worst part about that is... I had the exact same situation happen (although on a less extreme as I wasn't going as fast) in front of my friends house, who also happened to live on a dirt road.

The lesson here: Don't ride 2 wheel motor vehicles on freshly grated dirt roads or loose gravel.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Been there. Done that. Tore big holes in the t-shirt. A little honda Elite scooter my friend had. Riding it behind his house on some unmaintained ranch roads. I'm all speeding along, coming back to the group of people standing around at the end of the road. I'm wearing sandles, shorts, and a t-shirt. No helmet or anything. So I go to slam on the back brake, figuring I'll slide to a stop a bit. What my friend neglected to mention was that the back brake broke. So suddenly I'm having to stop with nothing but the front brake... and all the people are diving out of the way, revealing the cluster of cactus they were standing in front of. Braking with the one turnable wheel doesn't work out so well. Soon as it locked, I laid it out, slid the rest of the way down the road and into the cactus. Friend comes running up, yelling at me for "breaking his bike." I just limp up to him and thank him for putting me on a motor vehicle with no functional braking ability and no warning. Fun times! :-)

thefemnazi

how do any of us survive to adult hood?  I used to jump out of 30 foot haylofts onto one or two broken bales.

Glad you're feeling better Xeph!
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.