News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Ice Age 2

Started by Xepher, April 01, 2006, 06:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Hi-freakin-larious! Just got back from the theater... totally awesome movie. Go see it!

In other news, am I the only one that's noticed the recent trend in computer-animated, talking animal movies?

Here's the list I've got so far.
Dinosaur
Ice Age
Madagascar
Finding Nemo
Ice Age 2
Madagascar 2
The Wild
Over the Hedge
Open Season
Happy Feet
Father of the Pride (TV)

With the exception of Dinosaur and the first Ice Age, all of them are within the past year, or currently in the works. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I just found it strange to go to see a computer-animated movie about talking animals, and seeing trailers for two more such movies while I'm there. It's like it needs it's own genre or something. :-)

Now what I'd like to see, after seeing how good of a job they did on Narnia, is a GOOD werewolf movie. If they can make aslan that realistic, then they should finally be able to make a decent looking werewolf movie! Who's with me?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot "Garfield" and "Garfield 2" (which was the third, computer-animated talking animal trailer I saw tonight.) Garfield gives a bad name to the "genre" though, so we'll ignore these two.

EDIT EDIT: Forgot "The Ant Bully"... which means I also forgot "Antz" and "A Bug's Life"

tickyhead

Quote from: XepherNow what I'd like to see, after seeing how good of a job they did on Narnia, is a GOOD werewolf movie. If they can make aslan that realistic, then they should finally be able to make a decent looking werewolf movie! Who's with me?
HELLS YES! It's about time someone actually made a good werewolf movie, I mean they have the technology not only in the CGI department but make-up and special effects too, all they need is a good plot. Only problem is, it seems that plot is something hollywood is severely lacking lately.... :

this post has absolutely nothing to do with the main topic at all. :)
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

cha0s

i am such uncultured i've heard of like maybe 2 of those movies you listed...
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard

Munerift

I would love to see Alice Borchardt's trillogy made into movies. For those looking for good Werewolf genre reads based in the old roman time periods, "The Silver Wolf," "The Night of the Wolf," and finally "The Wolf King" are the novels for you. =) These books are really good, well written, draw you right into the story, and keep you thursting for more. I dont even know who I could talk to that would look into actually creating some good movies out of these.

Strangly enough her sister has the corner market on Vampire fables, for anyone that's familiar with Anne Rice or her Vampire Chronicles...
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Xepher

Yeah, I read The Silver Wolf a few months ago. When I was visiting my family a few weeks ago (they live in a palce with *gasp* bookstores) I bought the other two. Haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but they should be good. I agree, they would be good movies. The last time we had a non-evil werewolf in a movie was Remus Lupin (man, I hate how cheesy that name is) in harry potter. And his "werewolf" form look so stupid... I want a real werewolf, dang it! Not just some weird, gollum-like creature that moves like a cross between a gorilla and a stop-motion Taun-Taun (you know, the riding beasts from Hoth... You know, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back... You know, back when star wars was still cool.)

tickyhead

Yeah really, all the cool looking werewolves are evil, and all the good ones look terrible.

Thanks for the reccomendations, too, munerift. I've been looking everywhere for something good to read with werewolves in it. :)

thefemnazi

you forgot chicken little.

There's also "Spookly the Square Pumpkin" but it features talking pumpkins, so I don't know if it counts.

I think that CGI has become cheaper than paying multiple animators, because there are actually a lot of "straight to DVD" CGI kid's movies.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Munerift

...on another book note, I've got another recommendation. This isnt to do *exactly* with werewolves, but reverse-therians kinda. *laugh* Essentially wolves who can communicate and think in the same fashion that people can.

"The Sight" by David Clement-Davies.

Synopsys from authors site ( http://davidclementdavies.com ):

"...The Sight
In the shadow of an abandoned castle, a wolf pack seeks shelter. The She-Wolf is about to give birth, and her pups will not be able to survive the harsh Transylvanian winter. But something more threatening than snow and wind stalks the pack - a lone wolf, Morgra, possessed of a mysterious and terrifying power known as the Sight. And with her travels a raven, a bird that feeds on the dead.

Morgra
I'm Home!

Munerift

Quote from: XepherYeah, I read The Silver Wolf a few months ago. ... I bought the other two. Haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but they should be good. I agree, they would be good movies...
Xeph, you will LOVE the other installments. Borchardt goes even deeper into these characters lives. I cant remember the name off the top of my head, but the older lady that travels with Maeniel (you know... the one who's BEEN AROUND *wink wink*) is a hoot! rofl The interresting thing about this series however is you wont find a werewolf in any of these books by common definition... you'll only find something-of-a-human, or person. :D

If I had had the chance to choose for myself which sister would gleen more fame from their chronicles, I would pick Borchardt over her sister, Rice.
I'm Home!

Xepher

Hmm... another one I forgot: "Barnyard" Just saw the trailer again. That's like 5 talking-animal CGI movies in 5 months.

Munerift

...everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon of course... just as I'm now creating a miricle diet pill that allows you to loose weight while stuffing your face and inhabiting the couch for days..!!!!! Woohoo! :P
I'm Home!

tickyhead

further proof that hollywood has run out of ideas, I say. Hell I don't think they even bother thinking anymore, they just pick something that looks like it sells and rehash it over and over until something else starts selling better, then they latch on to THAT and hash, hash, hash all over again.

Its times like these when I question my dream of being an actor.....

gracey

I love CG movies aimed for kids! I love how the industry is not making kids feel that they are mindless and stupid. I mean I have to say that Monsters, Inc. was one of the best movies I've ever seen period! And the kids at my daycare were quoting lines of the movie for weeks!

Picture kids jumping off the play structure and posing when landing, yelling "Mike Wisowski!!" It was so funny!!
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

otrstf

I loved all three of the Borchardt books, but then read her earlier work "Raven Warriors.'  Not near soo good. Still, I'll eagerly pick up whatever she does next just to find out if I like it.

pigeon-wing

Yeah, CGI movies are definitely the popular thing right now. I can't remember the last time Disney released a hand-drawn film that wasn't a sequel. I like CGI, but I -love- hand-drawn animation. I grew up with that sort of animation (I learned English watching Disney movies, for crying out loud), and it's quite painful to see it slowly disappearing ):
I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.