News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Morbid or Funny??

Started by Databits, April 04, 2006, 05:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Ok so the story behind this from what I hear is it's on a WoW PVP server. A guild member of some horde guild died in real life, so they're having an in game funeral for the person... until one of the alliance pvp guilds who are apparently known for being assholes kinda comes in and crashes it. Is this morbid or is this funny?? I can't quite make up my mind.

Granted, it sucks that someone died in real life, but in all honesty, I have no remorse for people stupid enough to play games so much that they don't take care of their own health, don't sleep, or don't eat. Which is something that has happened quite a few times for WoW all on it's own. This is one of the reasons that I think ALL games like that should have some sort of lock out peroid if you've played for X hours straight. Something to force players to get the hell off for at least an hour or two and take care of REAL needs.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7667194685876573666&q=%22World+of+Warcraft%22+%2B+%22funeral%22
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Munerift

There was a version in the Dragon Warrior series of nintendo games that after soooo many hours, all the townspeople will tell you something like "Thou art need rest" and wont talk to you normally untill you go save and tell the priest goodnight at the church. (which then turns the game off.) It wont lock you out for an extended time or anything, but it at least attempted to get you off your turf.
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Gwyn

Did the guy who ran the guild die from playing to much, or was it un related?
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Databits

Most the people who you find out about who died in WoW die from actually playing the game. You don't generally hear about deaths that aren't in relation.
(o.O)    

Xepher

You do when there's an in-game funeral for them that gets crashed by jackasses.

Not news: Funeral. News: In-game funeral. Fark.com: In-game funeral crashed by opposing team!

EDIT: Oh wow. Just found that article actually IS on fark.com. Though their headline is a bit different from mine above.

Gwyn

Quote from: DatabitsMost the people who you find out about who died in WoW die from actually playing the game. You don't generally hear about deaths that aren't in relation.
Why not, I'm sure if I died one of my friends would be kind enough to post here and say "Yo...so Gwyn got hi by a truck"

Perhaps the guild had a forum or a website that the death was posted on. Or maybe some of the guys real friends told everyone. I mean I'd wonder why the guild leader vanished.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

I know you asked, "morbid or funny?" about this particular case. However, I can't help but wonder in the larger sense. Someone died. Morbid or funny?

Me? I'm 24, so many would say I can't have a valid opinion on such a thing. I mean, my current "Will" would read something along the lines of "Don't bury me, just dump my corpse somewhere that it'll get eaten."

I know, sounds "morbid" to a lot of people. But to me... at least right now... death isn't that big of a deal to me. I really wonder if my attitude will change with age/time, but for now, I just can't mourn the dead. I just see there being few options as to what happens.

1) They're dead and that's it. No afterlife. Woot! Game over man! So why should I be sad for someone that doesn't even exist?
2) There IS an afterlife, and the dearly departed is in heaven. Woot! Paradise! Need I say more?
3) There IS an afterlife, and the dearly departed is in hell. Well, bummer dude. It's FOREVER. There's no way out, you're hosed, and life, by comparision to eternity, is so freakin' short that I'd have to feel bad for EVERYONE who ever went to hell. I mean, apparently life was just that brief, fractional second where you WEREN'T a total jackass deserving eternal fire and suffering. If god sent you to hell, then who am I to mourn that "good" person you were obviously just pretending to be on earth?

That's about it. I haven't really seen another option for death. Well, maybe if the hindus are right, you get reincarnated as some other creature. That also qualifies as a "Woot!" scenario though. Me, I'd love to be an animal for a lifetime or three. I mean, Ant would suck, but as long as you keep getting chances, it's all just good stories to tell later.

No, I'm not joking. I'm serious. Death is not a big deal. The ones we should mourn are the living. Everything else is so incomprehensible, that to be sad for something you don't even understand just seems pitiful.

So is my view morbid, or funny? Me? I think both. Morbid is, more often than not, funny.

No, seriously, you'd all better be laughing (and getting drunk) at my funeral! :-P

tickyhead

THANK you, Xeph. It's about time someone shared my dream of having a funeral filled with booze and good times. Honestly I never got the whole "mourning" thing either, I think it's mostly just a way for people to make them feel better.

Think about it, most things people do, they do to make themselves feel good. Doing a good deed to someone makes them feel like they are a good person. Mourning over the loss of someone who's dead is prolly just another way of feeling like they aren't a shallow jackass.
"I'm very sad that my friend/relative/person I never really met is dead. That means I'm a good person, right?"
"I'll probably never get to see this person again, which makes me sad. So I'm not going off on some self-serving bias, right?"

That's what I love about psychology, you get to learn just how shallow we really are ;)

As for the topic: Morbidly funny. Hell it's funny enough when someone is stupid enough to die because of a video game, let alone have their funeral IN the game ambushed by their enemies. Seriously, they were practically asking someone to come along and kill them all off with a stunt like that.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Oddly... I can't find any information on this... I'm wondering if this was on an RPPVP server and the "funeral" was a roleplaying thing for a player who quit playing (it wouldn't surprise me). But I can't find anything on the WoW forums reguarding this.
(o.O)    

tickyhead

if it was an RP funeral though, it's not as funny. In fact.....that's kind of pathetic.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Well... people do odd things, and roleplaying that a character "died" when the person quit playing I suppose is one way to write them out of the story.

However, to me, when watching it, it looks more like a raid group preparing to take down a world dragon, not a funeral. I mean... why have a huge semi-circle?
(o.O)    

griever

I plan on having a fun funeral.  There will be good music and dancing and food and something like a wedding cake, only maybe made out of chocolate.  In any case, my funeral will be fun.

I think it's stupid that people die from video games and I know several people who are probably next in line in the WoW game.  I also think that having an in-game funeral is stupid too.  However, I think the clan was pretty stupid for wrecking an in-game funeral and then making a video of it because it just makes them look like assholes.  I'm guessing that for their actions, some other clan will wipe them out.  What goes around, comes around and if they start whining when that happens, that will just show how pathetic they are.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

Ok I finally got some more information. This funeral was an in game funeral for a player who did actually die. I don't know the cause, but lets just say that if it's because of ignoring real life needs over a game I still don't feel sorry for the person.

But in all light, now that I know for sure that it WAS a funeral for an ACTUAL death. Now the people who came in an did that, who I'm sure knew full well what they were doing, were just being assholes. I guess my other question is about the choice of location for the funeral though... If they didn't want that to actually happen, why in the world did they do the funeral in a contested zone where PvP is enabled?
(o.O)