News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Spore = Best Game Ever?

Started by Xepher, May 06, 2006, 11:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore

If it looks boring at first, keep watching for at least a few minutes, it gets so incredbly much cooler. I can't believe any game could be this large. Start as a single-cell lifeform, evolve creatures, control cities, make buildings, create vehicles, go to space, and end up terraforming planets. I'm just blown away.

Reminds me of one of my favorite games from way back when... E.V.O. http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/evo/ I always wanted a modern version of that. Wishes do come true! :-)

cha0s

yeah i heard about this game ages ago. it's completely mind boggling. you can specify EVERYTHING even like how many legs, appearance of your creatures. and they will learn and grow based on thier own shape/adeptness at handling certain tools, etc

as a game designer it makes me cry a little bit, lol :P
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard

tickyhead

Yeah I heard about this through VG cats a while back. Good stuff, it made some of my friends giggle insanely in a high-pitched squeallly voice. Considering most of my friends are guys who try to be all "manly" and stuff, that's pretty good. :)

I think my favorite part was when they stuck that one creature on that undeveloped planet. That made me laugh non-stop for about the rest of the movie.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Oh my... that's gotta be the coolest thing ever.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Yeah... seeing things like that makes me wish I'd actually learned more CG and programming, so I could be working on something like that. Of course, that's the "holy grail" of game design jobs. 99% of programers in the game industry just end up integrating motion capture cycles for Madden 2008. So I tell myself I'm better off unemployed. :-)

Databits

Procedural generation of an in game world
(o.O)    

Xepher

A lot of WoW is procedural. Human tweaked procedural to be sure, but still. The thing about Spore is that it's a new game each time. MMOs have to be semi-static and persistent. So even if you do make them "procedural" it's only a one time gig, and there's little point in writing the procedural generator into the game itself. The best you can do is procedural "dungeons" like in Anarchy Online.

dragyn

Heh, something else I've actually heard of before.  Huzzah!

Yeah, that'd be a cool MMO, me and my brothers want to make something like that, someday, maybe.

Databits

Easier said than done... trust me on that. :P
(o.O)    

dragyn

Yeah, we know.  It's more a dream than anything else.

Of course, the odds aren't really in our favor...

Databits

(o.O)    

Xepher

That remind anyone else of the Futurama intro? With that music and the "bouncy" camera shots, I kept waiting for the UFO to crash into a giant TV showing B&W cartoons. :-)

Databits

Yeah, I guess so. But the fact that there is a trailor is hot! That means the game is coming closer to store shelves... er... my computer too. :D
(o.O)    

pigeon-wing

Oh, those three little words in that order raise such fury within me x3 But Spore does seem incredibly promising. I got to see some of it on E3 and what I saw was amazing. If it comes out for the Wii, I'll be all over it :3
I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.