News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

sell things online?

Started by griever, May 22, 2006, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

I've just graduated and am confronted with the monumental task of trying to cram two segments of my life together into one room.  I have also failed, because my room's too small and I just have too much stuff.

I've decided to donate my good condition old clothes and clothes I hate and never have worn to the local places in town.  However, I want to sell my old books, CDs, and DVDs because the bookstores in town only do in-store credit and they're locally owned with little variety of titles.

I've bought things from eBay and Half.com, but I've never sold things in any service like that.  Has anyone ever used those kinds of services to sell things before?  Any pros and cons that you've noticed from the seller's side?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

I find trying to sell something online a pain unless it's a relatively expensive item. I mean, laptop, good thing to sell on ebay. Paperback book? No, too much trouble. Maybe if you lump it into collections, and sell big chunks o' stuff.

griever

Hmm...I don't have chunks of stuff...most of my book series are incomplete and the ones that are complete are ones I want to keep.  Maybe I'll do the instore credit and hope I can get some cookbooks or something. x.x

Delia

Garage sale, maybe?  That's of course kinda tough if your neighborhood isn't really into that, or if you don't have a lot of just random stuff to sell.  Sometimes you can hook up with someone else and have a joint one.

I have some things I want to sell, too, but haven't resorted to going online yet.  I think eBay charges you a listing fee when you sell something, which is one of the things deterring me.

griever

I thought about having a garage sale, but my neighborhood isn't into those so much anymore.  Come to think of it, you don't see those much anymore where I am.  Maybe it has something to do with the decreasing amount of young people and the increasing amount of old retirees.

Delia

Quote from: grieverI thought about having a garage sale, but my neighborhood isn't into those so much anymore.  Come to think of it, you don't see those much anymore where I am.  Maybe it has something to do with the decreasing amount of young people and the increasing amount of old retirees.
Ahh, yeah, that can do it.  I imagine some retirees might sell something off but usually it seems to be families that do garage sales, at least where I live.

Good luck with the selling, though!