News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Problem with FTP

Started by Tangle, August 22, 2005, 04:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangle

I'm getting this new error message I've never seen before when trying to log into FTP...

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

What does this mean?  How can I fix it so I will be able to log in?  I've already tried to reset the file permissions.  

Thanks for any help in advance.

griever

I found this, just by googling that error message: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58  Hope it helps ^_^
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Tangle

Hurrah!  Thank you.  I had already configured the Windows firewall to allow Smart FTP but it hadn't even occured to me to configure Norton.  I didn't even think I had Norton, but lo and behold, I did a search and it shows up under somebody else's username on this computer, recently added, and blocking SmartFTP.  All reconfigured and fixed now!  Thanks again.

Databits

For future reference, you may also try SSH secure file transfer. It works similar to FTP, but it's a tad more advanced, and I've never ran into any problems that you run into under FTP sometimes.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Nequam

Quote from: DatabitsFor future reference, you may also try SSH secure file transfer.
I haven't been able to access my FTP in two days - but this appears to have fixed the problem entirely.

Thankyou so much! =3

Databits

Also, for the sake of it, I prefer to use SSH over Putty. It has a pretty user friendly environment to it that makes file transfers easy.

A link to the client is here:
http://ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html
(o.O)    

Tangle

And again!  FTP fails me.  I keep getting this error message:

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Well, actually that's a new one.  I had an RCC look at it, and he says it's not a problem with FTP since he can connect to his server through it, just not xepher.net.  Xepher, what do I doooooooo?   *weeps*

Databits

Once again, try SSH...

If you're using SSH Secure Shell I can tell you how to connect and use a GUI system just like SmartFTP to transfer files and stuff:

1): Download and install SSH Secure Shell.

2): After installation, look for the icon that starts the normal client. It will on your desktop and/or in your start menu, depending on what options you choose during installation. It looks like:

3): Now you should have a window that looks like this up:

4): Click on the Profiles toolbar icon and select Add Profile...

5): You'll now get a new window to create a profile name. Name the profile whatever you want to. I choose to name it Xepher Net in this little tutorial:

After you finish naming it, click the Add to Profiles button.

6): Now go back to the Profiles toolbar icon and select the profile you just created, you should have a window that comes up asking for some connection information. All you need to enter here is your Host Name which is xepher.net and your User Name which is the same as your FTP user name. You only need to enter this information once and it will store it in the profile for you.

After you are done click the connect button.

7): Now you will get a prompt to put in your password. It will NOT store your password, so you'll need to enter it each time you want to connect. Simply enter your normal password for your user name and click Ok:

Another window will pop up that says Enter your authentication response. Just click Ok. You are now connected to Xepher's server.

8): Now for the GUI to transfer files and stuff... This is rather simple to get to. In the toolbar, click the icon that looks like a folder.

Now everything should be pretty self explanitory. You can drag and drop things into the foldersto upload them just like in SmartFTP.

The only exception is deleting a folder that has stuff in it, because SSH is a shell, it also tends to follow the normal rm unix command without the -R option. Which basically means you can't delete a folder that is not empty. There's probably an option somewhere to change that, but I haven't looked.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Woot! Useful tutorial there. Thanks for helping out.

Tangle

Erk.  Yeah.  Um, forgive me for sounding completely retarded, Data.  ^_^;;  You're very helpful and I appreciate this a lot, I'm just secretly utterly computer illiterate.  

I've tried the SSH thing before (this FTP problem has been going on for a few weeks now) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to install it.  Retarded, I know.  This is where you go to download it, right?  The problem is, all these little folders and files are completely incomprehensible to me.  I don't even know what to start clicking on to be able to download and install it.  I feel bad asking someone to completely walk me through an installation, of all things (not to mention my computer buddy came up, looked at it, and just said "nope. no idea.").  

*sigh* And I liked SmartFTP, too.  But yes, if there is no other option, I'll try to figure out SSH (get the RCC to come up again, I suppose).  I just thought that maybe the new error message might mean something.  

Thank you!

Xepher

WinSCP is a similar package, it may be more user friendly though.
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
Or the direct download here. http://winscp.net/download/winscp380setup.exe

Databits

Actually... the executable is the only file in that list you need.

http://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh/SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe
(o.O)    

dragyn

I'm not -computer- illiterate.  I'm -internet- illiterate.  There is a difference.

Well, to me, anyway.