News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Databits Presents - The SSH Secure Shell Client Guide

Started by Databits, June 27, 2006, 09:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

The first in a series of guides I indend to come up with to make things easier for all of those who have hosting through Xepher.net! This guide goes through everything you should need to know to manage the web file content of your xepher.net account.

http://guides.databits.cc/ssh/

ADMIN EDIT: Points to new (lowercase) URL.
EDIT: PDF no long available.  What's the use of it? :P
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

pigeon-wing

I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.

Databits

(o.O)    

Munerift

Wow, I had no idea how easy it would be to make the switch... THANK YOU! Now I can learn how to do it this way and never have to worry about the day I cant use FTP anymore..! =D

...on a side note; reverse logic is good. =)
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Databits

(o.O)    

Munerift

I have to say: danke danke danke shon!

This was a much easier transition than I first thought and was able to upload my new site design with ease!
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Databits

I suppose I'll need to work on getting a new one of these made, preferably with stuff like Smarty/WinSCP.

The old guide still exists in limbo somewhere, my bad since I move it. I'll fix that and get it back online.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Amazingly, I've had less issues lately with people confuzzled by SSH. Is the internet getting smarter? :-P

Miluette

I'm not sure what there was to be confused about. I just clicked the SFTP option for my connection hookup in Filezilla and presto!
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

Yeah, considering that SFTP uses the SSH protocol in some cases, that's no surprise. The thing is that just normal FTP is plain flat out insecure. No matter what you do it seems people always find a way in... then again enforcing smart passwords on users is another measure that should be taken more often than it usually is.  ::)

Did you know one of the most common passwords in the world is "jesus"?
(o.O)    

ani

I have a question about SSH Secure Shell Client...I am using it for connecting on server where I am working in some program. This program is working long time without giving any outputs...and here goes the problem. After a while, my SSH Secure disconnect. Like he goes stand by...and everything stops. Can I somehow switch off that stand by. Is it possible?

Thanks!!!

Xepher

Hi Ani,

What's your xepher.net username? If you give me that, I can check the logs on the server to see what the problem is. If you're not a xepher.net member, you may need to contact your actual webhost for help with your SSH connection problem.

ani

As I am not xepher.net member, I'll contact my webhost for help with SSH connection problem. I thought that there is some general thing with this issue.

Thanks for helping me!
Ani

Databits

This particular tutorial is somewhat dated now.  I'd suggest using a program such as Putty if you need SSH shell access or WinSCP over SFTP or SCP if you just need to transfer files.  Though I haven't got time to put together a tutorial for either of those at the moment, they are pretty straight forward.

As for your issue, look for your keep alive settings.  It's possible that they're causing your issue if you have a stable internet connection.
(o.O)