News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Job!

Started by Xepher, July 10, 2006, 10:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Job!
I got one!

Even got what I asked for in pay. Problem is, it's in tech again. "Mainframe Support" for a computer company. Oh well, at least the pay is decent.

griever

Congradulations! (even if its not what you wanted)  :)  Are you working for a large company that you might be able to move around in?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

otrstf

much congrats, too!

Xepher

Thanks. And the company is large-ish. It's several hundred people, so there is a chance to move around/up hopefully. We'll see how it works out. Still, even if it's not what I wanted exactly, it'll be nice to be getting a paycheck again. :-)

FYI, I'm gonna be out of town for the next couple days. Gonna go visit family before I start work on Monday.

gracey

Woot! Pay that you been asking for is always good! CONGRATULATIONS!!

*does a little new job jig*
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

Databits

Congrats man! Way to go! It's always nice to hear that people can still get computer related tech jobs in the U.S.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

gopus

Good job!!!

Get it? GET IT?!??! GOOD JOB. BECAUSE YOU GOT A JOB. GET IT? GET IT? BUT WHEN SOMEONE SAYS 'GOOD JOB' THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN THEY ARE COMPLIMENTING AN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY, SO MUCH AS AN ACTION, ANY ACTION, THAT'S YOU'VE DONE WELL. AND IN YOUR CASE, OR RATHER IN BOTH CASES, THE PHRASE IS APPROPRIATE.

OMIGOSH, HOW FUNNY. HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Xepher

We continue to ignore Gopus...

But yeah, haven't gotten my first paycheck yet (comes in two days) and I'm trying to figure out how to quit and still pay my bills. Just for anyone that wasn't clear on this already, work sucks! :-)

I've got plans though, I just hope they come through.

gracey

I'm thinking exactly the same way! I want to quit but I can't seem to see myself walking away from the money...

Money is the devil, I tells yeah. If I won the lotto all I'd do is get blotto.
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

Xepher

My job, on a scale of 1-10... last week it was pretty low. In fact, I thought my dislike for it was about as close to "1" as you can get. Turns out "1" isn't the bottom though. Nor even "0." In fact, there is a limitless series of negative numbers descending into the infinite abyss of hate. Einstein was wrong, there are THREE things in life that are infinite. The universe, the stupidity of man, and HATE. Granted, the first two tend to lead to the third, but still... :-P

So what does one do in modern society when you can no longer even stomach the thought of going to your job anymore? I can't quit yet, as I don't have enough money. And it's not like I can go live in the woods, hunt for my own food, and build my own shelter. I can't go off on a crusade. And I certainly can't sign up with a pirate ship. All the historical options for a disgruntled youth seem to have disappeared. So what's a disenfranchised young man to do in this modern era?

Munerift

...obtain a box and a spork. Using spork cut off one side of the box. Find/steal/borrow a pen that's dark in color and mark the box side with: "JOB SUCKED SO I QUIT. NEED MONEY TO BUY INTERVIEW SUIT." Walk to a busy corner and push the presently frequenting bumb off, stand in his place and hold the sign. Wait for money to follow.

ROFL! ^_^
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Xepher

Heh... I'm nearly at the point where I might consider that. Today they suggested I might be working 12-16 hour days next week during this "disaster exercise" they're doing. As far as I know, I'm on salary and wouldn't even get overtime for it. Frankly, I don't think they pay me enough to even keep me 8 hours a day. If they really expect me to work overnight like that... well, it should be interesting. I've already making a list of interesting ways to quit, and any additions would be welcome.

My favorite (but probably too extreme) so far is to sunbathe nude on the CEO's skylight. Under "realistic options" I'm thinking a long memo to Human Resources, with many veiled insults and clever phrases, but essentially giving my two weeks notice. By the time anyone actually figures out who it should go to or what it says, my two weeks will be up and I can just walk out the door and not come back. When they call the next day to ask why I'm not there, I can say "I quit two weeks ago, didn't you get the memo?" Last day I might also wear a t-shirt (totally against dress code) that says "I am NOT a human resource!" I also like this option because "Memo to Human Resources" is a title to a They Might Be Giants song.

Munerift

I'm an hourly wager doing Worker's Comp for a place in Wa that manages 72 different retirement homes all  throughout Ca, Id, Mt, Nv, Or, Wa, Az & Ut. I'd kinda _like_ to be salary because they pay _alot_ more that way and I've _NEVER_ seen the people who I work with on salary stay a minute over 8 hours. =P (but it is an improvment over my last job; an improvment of a $5 an hour raise..!)

I still manage to spend all the money on basicly things I _need_ to do instead of things I _want_ to do most of the time though. I suspect that has something to do with being a parent though.

I found a place that's pretty good reads and especially liked this one as it might be valid to you:
http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/pentium130_resign.asp
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Xepher

Funny letter there. That's the style I'd want it to echo, though I'd probably write something that is about 15 times as long, complete with dissertations on early hominid societies and such.

As an update, turns out it's only 6 hours overtime next week, they make up for it by letting me do nightshift duty too, which works much better for me. And I do get paid for overtime, but unlike normal workers (who get 1.5x pay) I get a weird sort of half pay... the more I work, the LESS I get paid per hour. Weird, but not as bad as it could be. We'll see how this next week goes. I'm trying really hard to keep a positive attitude about it, and just maybe I can find a way to survive this while I try to get some other options.

otrstf

Xepher

You've probably seen me say this to a number of people; but I'll repeat it here: Do your job search while you're still employed! Let the place you hate finance the search for something better. Don't quit until you've got a fallback lined up.

--otrstf