News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Job!

Started by Xepher, July 10, 2006, 10:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Say, wait a sec, can't you put your resume on Monster and look for that type of programming work that way? I mean, I think its free to put up your resume and such... I think it would be worth a shot.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Well, I'm not making flyers... but my resignation letter is something I'm quite proud of. I'm going into work in just about 6 hours with the following letter. Click here a scan of the actual page (complete with Old English font and burn marks!) or read the plain text below.

QuoteMemo To Human Resources

To Whom It May Concern,
   After a period of intense and thorough introspection, I have come to the conclusion that I can no longer allow UCS to continue serving as my employer. Thus, this letter shall serve as official notice of termination.
   I ask that this letter not be misconstrued as a negative comment against those with whom I have had direct contact or working relationships. My fellow team-members in DR support are all excellent people, and a joy to work with. Indeed, I feel it would behoove the company to pay closer attention to the excellent service they provide, and reward them accordingly.
   Speaking for myself however, I find that the limits imposed by the corporate environment severely hamper the pursuit of meaning, purpose, and joy in life. Because of this, I feel it has become apparent that my goals differ severely from those of UCS, and it is in both our interests to discontinue our relationship. Additionally, I fear that continued alliance with the company may jeopardize my Chaotic Good alignment.
   Recent events â€" such as the surprising death of Steve Irwin, the anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks, and many things in my own life â€" have conspired to remind and impress upon me the brevity and transient nature of human existence. Like Thoreau, I do not want to find that, when it comes time to die, I have never truly lived.
   As such, I have decided to pursue a career in professional buccaneering. Since my days as a young lad, I have dreamed of a life of swashbuckling adventure on the high seas. Many an afternoon was whiled away, yearning for long days of bold adventure, and cool nights full of pretty women and strong rum.
   Of course, the life of a corsair can be difficult and fraught with peril to life and limb, but I feel that it provides the sort of challenge I need at this point in my career. Likewise, when I look upon the Jolly Roger, waving majestically over the blue seas, I finally feel at home. So while life on the open ocean may not be filled with the thorough record keeping, comprehensive security, filtered air, or artificial illumination provided by UCS, I will still sleep well each night. For as I lay beneath the stars, the cool ocean ocean breeze blowing across my face, I will know I have done my best to carve a name for myself and my crew amid the annals of heroic adventure and daring insurgency. So with my sword on my hip and my crew by my side, I sing...

Yo Ho Ho! A pirate’s life for me!

Sincerely,

griever

*rotflmao*  That is awesome.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

Bloody Brilliant!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

And it worked! Both my supervisor and my manager got a bit of a laugh out of it even. My manager even spent a few minutes telling me how surprised he was I stayed this long. He basically told me that a job of this sort would never satisfy someone like me, and that I needed to find something where I could really feel like I'm making a difference in the world, etc... Pretty much read my mind, and told me all the things about myself that I'd been thinking about over the past few weeks. Really kind of encouraging that way. He asked when I wanted my last day to be, and I said that, if it wasn't a problem for them, today would be great. They said okay. So I turned in all my tools and keys and such, and then my supervisor had me fill out a timesheet for this week. Of course, I only had two hours on it for the whole week, but he said I'd be getting paid for the full week anyway.

How fracking cool is that? I mean, it's like being rewarded for being an honest jackass. I am continually amazed at how life works out like this for me. I jump head first out of proverbial windows, and not only land on my feet, but find I'm winning the race as well. As I've said for years, "Say what your heart wants, then let your life follow. Anything more is ego. Anything less is cowardice." When you do that, you'll be amazed at how well things work out.

fesworks

That certainly is Freakin' Sweet. Congrats! Best possible way to end a job as it sounds.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Congrats, Xepher!  You deserved the happy ending.

Pity laws keep me from trying that at school...

Munerift

...your name is James? 0_o I never would have thought you a James.

But congrats on the surprizing outcome! =D
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Xepher

What WOULD you have thought my name to be then?

And in other news, looks like I'm gonna be waiting tables at Olive Garden for a while now. Interview tomorrow, but it looks like a done deal.

Josiah Tobin

Quote from: XepherWhat WOULD you have thought my name to be then?
I probably would've guessed either James or Stephen, myself. Then again I don't know you so it's probably based off of some strange subconscious connection between those names and the username 'Xepher'. :p

Anyway, that is indeed an awesome way to quit. Congrats on the new job, too. :)

cha0s

heheh, that's awesome dude. real glad to hear stuff worked out... inspiring actually, considering you believed in yourself and took a leap of faith and everything worked out ok

i'm proud of you... :')
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard

Databits

hehe, cool, I'm quite amused
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Now I just have to find a way to make money soon... I had an epiphany, and it turns out, I don't want to work at Olive Garden. :-)

Databits

No surprise there, resturant work is as dull and boring as most other jobs.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

cha0s

i dunno, i might snag the job at olive garden just for the tasty munchies... =P
xepher puts the SEXY in DYSLEXIA

My Music!
FreeBASIC rox hard