News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

MySQL server

Started by reinder, August 16, 2006, 12:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinder

There seems to be something badly wrong with the MySQL server today. I get error messages like this one:
QuoteWarning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111) in /home/rocr/public_html/willow-db.php on line 2
Could not connect
and similar ones occur all over Xepher.net's home page as well.

It's possible that this crash was cause, at least directly, by me reading full site usage logs in WillowCMS, in which case I apologise. On the other hand, I've done that before and while it's pretty hard on the server, it hasn't caused it to keel over before. So there may be other factors involved.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

Xepher

Yeah, I just got home from work and noticed that. MySQL server just died. No errors in its logs or anything, though I think it lost the handle on those a while back, as there's nothing since May there. Doh! Crash happened between 12:27 and :28 GMT. Hmm... first error of that type in the apache logs is actually your script, so odds are pretty good it caused the crash. I don't think it was overtaxing the server, just that it did something strange.
[Wed Aug 16 12:27:30 2006] [error] [client 213.10.125.93] PHP Warning:  mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/rocr/public_html/willow-db.php on line 19I've restarted MySQL, and all should be working now. I've reset the logging and it's actually putting new info in the log files, so if this happens again, we should have a much better idea why.

reinder

That client is an ADSL connection from planet.nl so is probably me.

Thanks again. I'm sorry these problems keep cropping up with my site. Because WillowCMS works so well most of the time, I tend to forget that it's still somewhat experimental and occasionally a nasty gremlin shows up. Mithandir, who wrote the CMS, is aware of the problem now, by the way. Don't know when he'll find it; in the mean time I'll avoid doing what I did that triggered the bug.
Reinder Dijkhuis

Databits

You are upgraded to MySQL 5 and PHP 5 right Xepher??
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

No, I'm sticking with the 4.x series for MySQL for now. I try to run on the conservative/stable side whenever possible. Gentoo devs don't think 5.x is stable yet, and I don't see any features in it that we really need to make it worth the jump yet.

Reinder, go ahead and run that again if you want. I imagine you've been doing that every day for a while now without problems, and now that I've got error logging working, I'd like to see what might be causing this. If you run it, leave a post here (or otherwise let me know.) I'll keep an eye on things from work tonight, so I'll likely catch it and restart it if it dies again.

reinder

ER, OK, but not now. Not yet awake and I need to get away from the computer for a few days. After the weekend.
Reinder Dijkhuis

Xepher

No problem. Just lemme know about when you plan to try it, just in case I need to restart things.