News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Google Talk

Started by Xepher, August 27, 2005, 01:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Okay, so I finally broke down and got a gmail account, mainly so I can use google talk, as I'd like to see AOL die a horrid death as soon as possible... but I need instant messaging. Anyway, for those with accounts, I'm Xepher42, so that should be easy enough. Those who don't, well you should look into it. Google's gonna take over the world soon no matter what, so I'm just crossing my fingers for "Benevolent Dictatorship" and drinking the kool-aid. :-P

Gwyn

I'll be getting it as soon as I get back on my PC, I tried to download it on the families machine 2 or 3 days ago..but it needs 2000 and up to run apparently.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

or you can use Gaim, that's what i use in linux to connect. No voice chat bit though.

Databits

Well I've had a gmail account, but I never used google talk. So I simply added it to my list of accounts under GAIM. My screen name is Relakuyae.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Lei

if I had a gmail account I'd add people :D

*hintsendmeandinvitehint*  

I never knew so many people used GAIM.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

tickyhead

...well if anyone ever needs to IM me for some inexplicable reason, I'm the usual tickyhead on gmail.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Quote from: Leiif I had a gmail account I'd add people :D

*hintsendmeandinvitehint*  

I never knew so many people used GAIM.
Done!

and... I've been using GAIM for a looooong time now. I really hate AIM due to the constant Ad's, which I don't have to deal with when I use GAIM. It was also nice to log into all my accounts on things like Yahoo, ICQ, and MSN at the same time.
(o.O)    

Lei

I went by the (aol) name of quicksilver3093....

Just cause Lei is too short >_>

[edit] exactly where do I add the account? I don't see "google talk" as one of the programs...

Databits

Google talk is a beta prototype using the jabber protocol. But it uses the exact same authentication as your gmail account. Therefore, once you have Gmail you have Talk.

If you need a link for Google Talk, try here.

They also have explicit instruction on how to use other programs to connect to google talk, though trilliam doesn't do it unless you pay for the add on for Jabber.

The listing of other chat clients is here. All you need to do is click on the client you want to use and go from there.
(o.O)    

Lei

I see I see.. maybe I should've poked around more ^^;

Aetre

is there a linux version? (dumb question #1)
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

Databits

Yes... GAIM is multiplatform, thus there are Linux version(s) available here.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Quote from: Aetreis there a linux version? (dumb question #1)
What? You think I'd go and recommend something that work in linux? :-)

robynie

I would use it but apparently you have to have Tiger to have the version of iChat that it works with.  Because the instructions don't seem to make sense with the iChat I have...

Xepher

Open Source to the rescue!

http://www.adiumx.com/

OSX IM client that does Jabber (Google Talk) as well as AIM and others.

I will note that, technically, Gaim works for OSX as well, but it's a lot trickier to set up than adium.