News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Sketch Input, part II

Started by dragyn, September 07, 2006, 03:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragyn

Okay...as I said in the other "Sketch Input" thread, I made a colored sketch of the character in there, now named "Kheros".

Also...I'm putting this one in its own thread not because the other one had too many posts, or anything, but because I wanted to keep the two sets of comments seperate.

Anyway, here it is, in mini form:

(that image, in its original position, is here for anyone interested.)

Also, you can see the full size image (beware...sort of a big file) right here.

fesworks

I like it. Looks kinda cute... if that was your intention :P or maybe I find undead things cute :P... Is he undead?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Yup...hes undead.  And yeah, he's supposed to be sorta' cute.

I'm glad someone liked it...heh, I'm glad anyone even looked at it.

Thanks.

fesworks

Heh, No problem :D I just do my part :) I'm always up for input! anytime!

By the way, you could probably go to the User panel and change your "website" location.

<--------

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Qazi

pretty cool work. He seems pretty happy by a grave lol
-----
Super Power Quest, read it today! only at QaziStudios.com

dragyn

@ Qazi: Heh...yeah, especially if you can tell it's his own grave...

I can see it's hard to read  in the "mini" version, which is the one here, though I know the larger version is more easily read...of course, my mistakes are easier to see, too.

@ fesworks:  Yeah...I changed the link everywhere I could think of when I moved...sorta' ironic that I'd miss the one here.  I'll go fix that, now.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Again, thanks for the input.  And I'm always open for more!

fesworks

Well I have seen some of your comics, and it looks like a lot is done in pencil. I used to do mine in pencil (no inking) and I opened the scan in Irfan View (a free image program, nice to use, I find Gimp too complicated http://www.irfanview.com/ ) and I go Enchance Colors, and I select the GAMMA portion (which I think you can find on other programs too.) ... Its starts at 1.00 ... I used to turn mine down to .60 and .30 to darken the pencil to look more like ink. (Gamma does not effect absolute White (255 all colors) or Absolute Black (0 all colors))

Note: Gamma always starts at 1.00 for current image... .01 to .99 is darker and 1.01 to 6.99 is Lighter.
What I ultimately ended up doing was drawing everything with pencil like I used to do, and then Scan it and make the whole comic (minus the text and such, but I would add the frame lines (100% black)) then change the gamma to maximum dim. Print that out, then INK over the faded lines to a crisper (less scetchy) look, and then scan that page in, and put the finishing touches on.... (I use MS paint for forming and editing, and text).

currently I am trying out Trace paper and Ink over my pencil works. But if this helps you get some ideas, cool.

I don't mean to impede your style, I'm just saying this if you might find it useful.

So if that is something that will help you out with your backgrounds or something, if that is what you'd like to do anyway. You can test it out with using color pencil too, but I find that you don't want to move the Gamma too much, but you can also darken your color pencil as well. But can get a bit touchy depending on how you want the image to look. .. its just that pencil in an form or color does not seem to scan very well, especially for resizing to smaller images.

so just my ideas, But still, sometimes the pencil backgrounds kinda look cool behind the inked characters, as if out of focus... which may be what you are going for anyway :p

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Yeah...I sort of wanted the backgrounds to be seperate from the main image.  I figured it might keep the important parts in front.  The front parts are inked, the background is drawn after.

The program I use for editing has what you mentioned, I just haven't played with it yet.  (i use paint.net, I can't remember where you get it, though I think it was probabaly at paint.net )It is also free.  While it isn't anywhere near as versatile as say, PSP, I don't need it to be.  I may look into Irfan View, though.

Thanks for the input. (again)