News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

YaoRPG - A Browser MMORPG

Started by Steltie, October 22, 2006, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steltie

Desired username: steltie

E-Mail address: steltie@gmx.de

Description: YaoRPG (Yet Another Online Role Playing Game) is a free in-development browser mmorpg, in which you can create a character and explore exciting worlds. It is based on PHP and Javascript (with Ajax) and it has a selfmade tile engine. I can't say much about the story yet, but there will be one for sure. You will be able to choose a class for your character (like a warrior or a mage) and much other things to customize your character.

I've made some screenshots for you to get an idea of how my game looks.

First, the screen you get after logging in. On the top you can see the menu.

Now you can create a character. Up to now you can only specify the name and the image of your character, but that will be changed later.

With your new character you can enter the game by clicking "Enter game" in the menu. A new window will be opened and you can see the start map. Now you can walk around by pressing W, A, S and D and maybe get to the second map, and so on. On the right you can chat with other players. The chat is temporary and will be replaced with a new one later (the old one is based on text files, the new one on MySQL).

You also have an inventory. You can open it by either pressing B on your keyboard or by clicking "Open inventory" on the left. You start with two items, a "Necklace of Home" which can teleport you "home" and a "Rugged Shovel", a starter weapon (fights aren't implemented yet though). You can find NPC Traders who sell items to you or buy items from you.

After creating a character he/she doesn't have money and not many items. But how do we get items without money or money without items? We can find chests in the world! We can open these chests and get the items in it (and sometimes there is money in them too). When opening the chests you can also see who has opened the chest before, and when it was opened. There are also some chests that magically disappear after opening them and reappear at a random position in a random map.

Another great highlight are the NPC dialogs. Sometimes you can see NPCs. You can go to them, click on them (you have to stand in front of them) and talk to them. He or she will say a sentence or two and you can choose what to say from a list of answers.
This NPC is made by a friend. Don't worry, there won't be a Pikachu-NPC in the final game ;) You can also see how chat messages look like in these screenshots.

There is another NPC which looks like a tree (and has some more text then the pikachu), here is one of many possible dialogs:

Here is another NPC trader, he has different items then the first one.

The game is still in development as I said, so there will come a lot of interesting features in the future.
Currently I'm hosting my game on my own PC (the same from which I'm writing this post). You can access the game at this URL:
http://steltie.serveftp.org/YaoRPG/
Feel free to register and walk around! If you can't find the server, it means that I'm offline. If you have ICQ, you can add me to see when I'm online. My ICQ UID is 266306076.
The page sadly isn't viewable in Internet Explorer though, but it works fine with Mozilla Firefox and Opera (I didn't test other browsers yet). The design of the page will be improved, so that IE users can view it, too.

Well, that's all for now. Thank you in advance!

Steltie.

tickyhead

Hmm, so far it seems pretty basic, but then again it's still in development. I'd really like to see what kind of classes you'll have, will it just be the run-of-the-mill RPG kind? And will you have sprites other than just blobs and some (sniper?) person? Also, will it just be running around looking for chests, or will there be monster fights and other RPG elements?

All in all you're off to a good start, (kind of reminds me of this one thing on neopets....) but I'd really like to see more of what you mentioned is in the works.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure if I'm thumbs up or down on this one.....We'll have to wait and see what Xeph thinks I guess.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Steltie

Yes, there will be monster fights, and you can get quests from NPCs and that stuff. There will also be Player versus Player fights, maybe in arenas or so.
I'm not quite sure about the classes yet, but I can name some races:
- The humans: They are kind of modern. They only trust in technologie.
- The "Blobbs" or "Slimies": They are a nice and peaceful nation. They don't like modern stuff, but they really like magic things. They mainly live in the forests.
- The "Cubeans" (it's pronounced like "Cubans"): There're like sand-cubes with feet. They live in a desert-like quadratic country. It's unknown (even to me) why they are so cubical.
- Also there will maybe be an Android race.

The world consists of many little islands, and maybe a big island that is divided into multiple countries. You will be able to travel around these islands by ship or so.

Anyway, this game is not going to be this standard monsters killing RPG style. My goal is to make an unique RPG. It will have things I miss in other RPGs. For example you can not only attack monsters but also friendly NPCs, like traders, and rob them.

Another cool thing will be that you will have your own private place. This can be a house, a garden or even an own small island! Maybe it depends on your level if you have a house or an island. If you have your private place, you can give friends access to your place (for example by giving them a key). You will be able to buy decorations and that stuff to embellish your place.

Steltie

I just read this thread: http://xepher.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=132

Well, my game uses MySQL. I have never worked with SQLite and I think it would be a lot of work to change all the code to use SQLite instead of MySQL and to convert the MySQL tables to SQLite tables.

Also my game is a little bit slow, maybe because of the many SQL queries. There are about 250 mysql_query() calls. Would it be worth the time and the efforts to change all the code and the tables and use SQLite?

Steltie

A friend of mine was so nice and gave me webspace for my game.
Thank you nevertheless!

Xepher

So I assume that means I can close this application? If so, we wish you the best at your new site.