News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Are you doing anything for Halloween?

Started by dragyn, October 31, 2006, 02:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragyn

Hello again, everyone.

What are ya'll doing for Halloween?

All I'm really doing for it is changing my site, and then I'm going to go stock up on candy after Halloween and lounge around eating it.

So, what are all your plans? (And if ya'll are doing anything with your sites, please link it!)

Uh...'nuf from me.

Xepher

pigeon-wing

Me neither xD I didn't go to the Halloween Dance at school because I'm really not one for dances, and here Trick-or-Treating is on Tuesdays, so I always have too much homework to go out. *sigh* Guess Halloween's only fun when you're a kid :/
I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.

griever

One of the elementary schools had a Halloween party and the kids were adorable.  One of my coworkers gave me a small pumpkin and this past weekend, we carved Jack o'lanterns.  But no one trick or treats here, so nothing really great.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Gwyn

Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

fesworks

Happy Halloween!

And now for more information than you would care to know:

Halloween, or "Samhain"

(Samhain = Sa-mhain = pronounced "sah-win")

Also known as "Shadowfest" in some places, Samhain is celebrated in the hours between nightfall on October 31 and sunrise of November 1.

Also known as "All Hallows Eve" roughly meaning "The Spirits' Night", This is a time to remember those that were close to us that have died, especially in the past year. This is a time of reflection.

This is also considered a Pagan New Year for many.

Traditions

Traditions include setting a place at the table for those close to us that have died. (Some even will serve food to the plate). Carving faces into pumpkins and dressing up in costumes was originally meant to ward of evil and unwelcomed spirits from getting close, or into, one's home.

In some pagan paths, food is left outside of the home as an "offering" to the hungry spirits that come out on this evening. Otherwise it is/was believed that they would play tricks on you and your home.

In old tradition, witches used to run with their broomstiks through the feilds of the final harvests. Through the brush, it looked as though they were "flying" on their broomsticks, thus giving a stereotype and misconception about witches to even this day.

Today's Halloween and Trick-or-Treating are modern adaptations of pagan culture, tradition, and celebration.

In addition to that, I made a quick and simple Halloween strip, I was inspired by Colin's Strange Happenings for it:

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

otrstf

Going out for dinner!  We attended two different costume parties over the weekend, was a poodle for one; a toucan for another:

dragyn

Hmm...cool.  Not a bad costume, there.

I'm not really surprised that noone here does much.  "nothing" is my usual.