News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Project Wonderful advertising

Started by reinder, November 08, 2006, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinder

Fes, if what I wrote (quoting the very smart Matt Skala at length) in my weblog today is correct, then that policy is counterproductive. The network needs new money to function at all, and that new money is more likely to come from people who primarily are there to sell stuff.
Not that it matters much, at the scale at which you and I operate, but it's the principle that counts. I say that a lot, which is probably why I'm having trouble making rent.

The situation with my own PW ads is brutal right now. Oddly, the only one that's doing at all well is the one on the blog, which I would think would be a much better match for Google ads, considering that it's a text-based publication that gets most of its readership from searches. Anyway, anyone still interested in bidding after reading that blog post can snap up some of my ads for pennies.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

fesworks

Well, I think it's going to fluctuate a bit, but the real problem is when people have too many ad-spots.. but that's usually a problem for the smaller sites.

I mean, I can;t afford to spend a whole lot on advertising, but since PW, I've spent a SHITLOAD of money on advertising I would otherwise NOT have spent... people lose track of mircopayments, and I think people are not being a little bot more intelligent about placing ads.

Personally, PW is awesome because price is ditacted by what the buyers deem as what they are worth. If ROCR's ads are low, it's because the people bidding don't feel that it's worth more right now. As a salesperson, you just have to deal with it.

As far as my own sites, It's a matter of opinion. I never really wanted to have ads EVER, and if I did It was just for webcomic promotion. So that is why I try to only approve webcomic ads on PSI... the things is, I'm not trying to have PW ads to make money, though it would be nice if everyone could break even and pass the money around. But that's me, but I also see what you are saying.

EDIT: also, because I like you and ROCR, and I know people will be visiting because of the Crossover Wars, I'm bidding on you mini Banners :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

jekkal

waiting to get invited by PW to host ads...

I've been trying to use the 'free ad space' so far. A lot of work for the effort, really.

reinder

You too, eh? I hear that a lot. The invite system seems to be broken.
Reinder Dijkhuis

fesworks

I'm thining that they don;t have the capacity for any more.

it already takes forever to load things.

they need to find a way to split the sites a bit better... or whatever they do.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

reinder

Yeah, I heard that from a cartoonist at the small press minicon I went to today. They can't handle any more.
They could communicate that better, though.
Reinder Dijkhuis

Xepher

Wow, must be nice to have a for profit system that can't handle any more customers. I know if I was in that position, and losting revenue because of it, I'd be pretty fracking quick about fixing it.

Yes, I see the irony in the fact that I say this, yet it's taking me months to get the new server in place. :-)