News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Hard drive troubles at home

Started by reinder, December 01, 2006, 12:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Yeah, as a bonus, it doubles as a hardware "firewall" when it comes to security. Though if you're running linux on your PC, that's not usually an issue.

Databits

Actually.... when you have multiple drives set up in a master/slave on the same cable, if the cable dies it will cause issues with both drive. You'd be surprised how many times I've fixed HD issues like this by simply swapping the cable with a new one. Thing is, if you replace the drive(s) you generally end up using the new cables that come with it, so if it was the cable, you'll never even know if your old drive still functions.

If it is indeed a controller problem, which it rarely is, then you have the choice of buying an expansion slot PCI controller (in this case I'd say go with a SATA one instead) or replacing the motherboard completely, which can usually be the most expensive of the choices cause you can almost never *just* replace a motherboard.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

reinder

Good point. I do have a drive cable to spare, so I'll look into that. Thanks.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle