News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Cannot Overwrite MySQL Database

Started by sabao, December 16, 2006, 03:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabao

This involves a very long, tragic story revolving around my inability to properly upgrade forum software, but skipping right to the ending, I exported my entire MySQL database and wiped it but now I can't reupload it because I am unable to overwrite my own database.

I suppose I could add everything by hand, but I'm not entirely sure it would be safe, given my knowledge (or lack thereof) of handling the MySQL database.

Xepher

I'm not quite clear on your problem. First off, what do you mean by "overwrite"? If you wiped it, there shouldn't be anything to overwrite, and indeed your database looks to be empty of all tables when I check. Secondly, what/where are you trying to reupload it? Are you using the forum's backup/restore, or phpmyadmin, or some other thing?

sabao

I was using php MyAdmin at the time, and I had exported the entire database into a zip file before wiping the database. My problem now is whenever I try to reupload the database file, it won't let me, returning the error message that the database 'sabao' already exists (although completely empty), so now I can't seem to reimport what I had exported earlier.

Xepher

Hmm... Hard to say without the actual database file. Can you email it to me, or upload it somewhere on your site where I can get it? I'll poke around at it, see if I can get it back into your DB.

sabao

Xepher

Okay, it should all be there/working now. I simply unzipped the file, commented out the line at the top that tried to create the database, then dumped it into mysql. I had to do it as an admin (since I don't have your password or anything) so if you run into permission problems or anything, let me know.

sabao

It's fixed now. Thanks for the help. :)