News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

"Tag-Board" Scripting?

Started by fesworks, December 28, 2006, 12:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Anyone know of what kind of "tag-board" "Chat-box" or "Shout-box" type of scripting that can be done on Xepher? I think there are some scripting restrictions of a certain kind of script or script release... but I was hoping someone knew how to code a tag-script or could point me in the right direction of such a thing for Xepher hosting.

Otherwise I'll be looking into a free version of one of the "outsoursed" coded tag-boxes, or whatever they are called.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Tried google? There's a bazillion. Top result is http://www.shoutpro.com/ which looks like it would work rather easily. Just pay attention at the setting of file permissions. PHP files get 700 here, whereas the instructions probably say something different. When in doubt, run the fix permissions tool.

fesworks

Yea, I always run that tool. I have no idea of PHP other than copy and pasting code, and small edits within.

Yea, There's google, but I still like to ask in case there are one's that others use or recommend.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Well, the one I linked is under a CC license, so that's a big plus IMHO. It stores in flat files too, so it should be a piece of cake to set up.

As for what others use, I notice most people use a "hosted" shoutbox thing that links to storage/code elsewhere. I've seen several of those break for me because I use ad block, and they keep trying to sneak ads in or set cookies for a different site, which is a security no-no for me.

Thu

Hm.. I personally use {CBOX.WS}.   :)There's no downloading or anything. An easy code- iframe. I'm sure Xepher.net can take it. :/ I don't know what else you mean.  :(

fesworks

That's what I ended up doing for simplicity sake. it works fine.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

Cbox keeps sneaking popups into my site. Not to mention ruining my clean code.

I forgot if I ever tried shoutpro, but I'm gonna try it now.

EDIT: and now I've noticed the lack of timestamping and the need to use iframes...

*sigh*
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

fesworks

cbox.ws ? I never have pop-ups.

I also use Firefox, which has a built in pop-up blocker... *shrug* cbox works perfect me.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

Could that mean I have adware?!

'Cause...'cause it sounds like it. I get popups when I click in input boxes on certain websites. Man, that bugs me now...

Xepher

Sounds like adware to me. If you're at an even REMOTELY trustworthy site, even sites that use pop-up ads, they shouldn't be triggered by clicking an input box. Definitely get some adware scans going and see what you find. Can't be too cautious on that sort of thing. If it's triggering on clicking an input box, it can just as easily trigger when you type, stealing whatever you typed in (like credit card numbers or passwords) and maybe NOT give you a pop-up when it does something more evil like that.

Miluette

Oh mannn. That sucks. >__> Although if something like my password was going to be stolen it definitely would have been by now, 'cause I've only recently had this problem AND have been doing more important things on my computers...

This doesn't happen on my mac but I wonder if I can scan for things on it, too.

Xepher

Macs, while not completely immune, are much less susceptible to adware/virus infections. If you're not seeing any symptoms on the mac, it's probably safe. Even on the PC I wouldn't panic too much, most adware is doing just that... trying to shove extra ads on you to make a tiny bit of money from advertising sources, not usually trying to steal info. Always better to be safe than sorry though.

Miluette

I think I took care of it now. And Firefox hasn't acted funny yet today. In fact right now its ram usage is being stable! Wowies! It's the only thing I have open right now, but it had been acting funny by itself for a while. Yaaay~