News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Temporary Spam Filter Failure

Started by Xepher, January 02, 2007, 09:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

The spam filter (spam assassin) on the server died horribly sometime last night. (Jan. 2nd, 2007) I personally got over a hundred junk emails during the few hours while it was down. It's up and running again just fine, but I just wanted to let everyone know why they might have a lot more junk mail than usual.

dragyn

I can't seem to recieve emails through the Xepher box at all, actually.

fesworks

I think I have an e-mail set up, but I never use it... I use g-mail... anyone need an invite? :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Dragyn, do you have your email set up to forward somewhere perhaps? That's one of the options in the user interface for your account here. Same place you set a description and other stuff for your site.

dragyn

I don't think so.  I haven't changed anything in there except the color scheme.  I'll make sure, though.

EDIT:  Nope, no forwarding.

Xepher

So what doesn't work about it then? You trying with a client like Thunderbird or Outlook? IMAP? POP3? Webmail? Get any specific errors?

dragyn

Well, the deal is this:

I log into it using the Webmail Interface here on Xepher.net.  No problem there.  The problem is that nothing comes in to the box.  I can send stuff out (say to my other address), but nobody can seem to send anything to me.

A couple have tried, and I've tried myself, but nothing is ever recieved.

I myself have tried sending things to the following addresses:

beastling@xepher.net  (Which should work)

dragyn@beastling.xepher.net (Which I think should work)

and  beastling@beastling.xepher.net

I'm not sure what anybody else tried, though.

Xepher

Because you've set up forwarding... I just looked at your settings, and it's all being forwarded to your gmail account! Go here https://xepher.net/index.php?page=account to change your settings.

dragyn

And you're right, of course.  I looked in the wrong box, and Gmail called it all spam.  Sorry 'bout that.

I'm just stupid sometimes.

Xepher

No worries! Long as everything's good now.

dragyn

All seems to be in order.  Thanks.

Xepher

Another minor email problem today. After an upgrade, users were unable to authenticate to send outgoing email through the xepher.net server. It should be working again now. Nothing was harmed/lost/etc, and all is well. :-)

Xepher

Spamassassin choked again last night, this time choking the whole server with it. It was triggered by some maintenance they were doing at the datacenter. Again, nothing harmed in the long run, but if a few more spam than usual got through, and/or you were wondering why you couldn't get to the site in the wee hours of the morning, now you know. Everything should be fine now, lemme know if you find otherwise.

griever

I did a double-take when I saw my Spam box had 40+ messages in it overnight.  I figured something was up when I was having slow lag trying to FTP (or whatever it's called...SCP?) to update today. ^_^
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)