News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Java references?

Started by Lei, September 08, 2005, 11:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lei

Heya. I'm taking a computer programming class and I was wondering if there were any good Java Reference sites anyone knew?  I could do a lot except I don't remember the names of the class and some of the code I have to import to make what I know how to make.. So that's what I'm looking for, anyone?
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Xepher

Java
Includes a full history of kingdoms, dutch colonialism, and independance.

Trust me, this Java is much more interesting and worthwhile than that stupid programming language. :-)

Gwyn

I don't know java so i have no idea how good these sites are, someone recomended them.

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
http://javascript.com/
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Lei

see, that javascript, which is scripting for websites. I'm looking for Java the computer programming language. The one that makes programs from scratch instead of enhancing websites. More like visual basic or C++

And Xepher... you're totally not helping : :D

Databits

Funny, I'm in a Game Programming class right now, and the instructor wants us to write our games in Java. I don't, however, know Java in the least. As for all those that say "It's a lot like C++" they obviously don't know C++, because from what I've seen, the structure of Java alone is far different than and C/C++ code I've ever seen in my life.

About the only similarities that I see lie in classes, and even those are structured differently. Give me C++ and a good game development library over Java any day. Or if you're looking for speedy development, go with Python.

My wish? Let Java die, the internet would be a better place without it.

Sorry, I know it's not a lot of help, but if I knew of any good sites, I'd let you know.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Lei

yeah well I like it because it reminds me of PHP :P I'll use it as long as I feel like so there :P

Xepher

But PHP has more in common with C than it does with Java. Object Orientation can take a long walk off a short cliff (in 90% of applications anyway.) That's one reason python is so good. You can do all you want without objects/classes, but if you WANT objects, it does them well too.

The best example of why OO is bloated and python rocks

Java
public class Hello {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello, world!");
    }
}
C
#include

int main(void)
{
   printf("Hello, world!n");
   return 0;
}
C++
#include

int main()
{
    std::cout << "Hello, world!" << std::endl;
    return 0;
}
And finally, Python
print "Hello, world!"And yes, Lei, I know this still is no help. Sorry, but I don't actually have any good suggestions for you, so I make with the lang-wars instead. :-)

EDIT: All code ripped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_world_program

Lei

*twitch* Hello World...

I suppose that's all very true. I'm a little lost on C++ one but whatever, right? Funny how my teacher told us Java was one of the easiest, but it seems to have eluded everyone who hasn't ever done anything in coding before. Even a couple of weeks working with php pretty much threw me in the lead : But I suppose Python's an expensive son of a gun, isn't it?

Don't worry Xepher, you're proving to be amusing to my friends when I check this topic to see if anything has come up. Then they give me weird looks :)

Xepher

Python... expensive? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

http://www.python.org

It's completely free and open source.

Lei

and I am proven wrong once again. :D

Anywho, this is all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact I'm still gonna be learning JAva in school, unless you manage to cyber threaten my teacher or something.

Gwyn

I think EVERYONE uses "hello world" in every example it can be used in.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Lei

yeah I believe so. It was also why I twitch when I see it.

Also, nevermind about the references, we were given big ol' java reference books (he told me not to run away with it, I looked at him seriously and told him I didn't think I would be able to). Even if my teach borrowed mine to look up something and forgot to give it back >_> I'll get it tommorrow though.

Databits

Hmm... that's quite allright. I haven't even really cared too much about my classes projects. It's annoying that I must write things in Java for a game programming course that doesn't truely teach major aspects of game programming. Rather, it's simply making 3 games in the course of the term. No teaching of general good design practices, no information about writing design documents, nothing about target audience... GAH! What sort of game programming course doesn't teach or at least hint at those!
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

trekkie1701c

Quote from: GwynI think EVERYONE uses "hello world" in every example it can be used in.
No, I once read a c++ book that had a first program that printed out the text "Goodbye, cruel world.", because the author hated the idea of another Hello World program.
What are you looking here for?

Lei

LOL. I'll learn C++ just to see that in print!