News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

need help on rating my comic, please

Started by fesworks, January 23, 2007, 03:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Currently, I have my comic rated Web 14 which says it "Contains slightly offensive material. High chance of mild swearing, partial nudity, violence and adult themes."

Now, there are a few times in which the material extends to the borderline to MA which is "For mature audiences. Contains high risk of violence, nudity, and adult situations. Viewer should be at least 17 or with parental guidance."

I have even had to re-rate one strip in particular to an MA (in hindsight, I should have realized what I did was way over Web14).

For those that have read my archive (its 90 strips -- sans two deleted strips) I'd like to know if you think the comic should be rated.

I'd like a rating suggestion for what it is SO FAR, and what is APPEARS to be becoming (if changing).

I would like to stay as Web14 with a bit of pushing it once in a while... I just don't feel that it really is up to a MA comic though, but I'd like to know what others think since there is no real committee in this self-regulation.

(I take no offense to those that have not read, don't care to read, and don't like my comic.)

I don't know if Miss Mab is still around (or checks this particular forum), but if you do read this, your opinion would be greatly apprecaited as I am using your rating system/descriptions.

(understandable if noone has time, or even if they hate my comic)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Munerift

I would say MA17... *thinks of a particular double-salute strip* but that's just me. Younger kids would still surf if there was still currently underaged individuals on your site so I don't think it would restrict them; however it would be good for them to know... but that's just me. *shrug*
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

ren_pii

I agree with Munerift. It might be better to warn your viewers if your comic is starting to have some of that content... But most kids won't mind that stuff anyway if they're mature and not you know... >_>

Maybe you could highlight which pages have MA17 ratings by putting an "*" beside the page title in the archive and letting them know that "*" pages are for mature viewers only... so the viewers don't have to read it if they don't want to (or if their parents happen to be in the room)...

Well.. that's one thing you could do...

Another could be to put warnings on the page before... like on your comments or something that the next page will have mature content.

But whatever, you don't have to do it. It's just an open suggestion that you use if you want. ;p

fesworks

Quote from: MuneriftI would say MA17... *thinks of a particular double-salute strip* but that's just me. Younger kids would still surf if there was still currently underaged individuals on your site so I don't think it would restrict them; however it would be good for them to know... but that's just me. *shrug*
Yea, that strip. I love that strip.

Its not so much that I want to restrict anyone from reading it. I just want to make sure people know what kind of content to expect. Like a PG-13 movie is comparable to Web14 rating... so I try to think of what is acceptible in a PG-13 movie (and not so much TV14). I figured the finger (or even a double duece) would be acceptible. I have been limiting "fuck" lately. They used to swear a tad more at times.

Quote from: ren_piiMaybe you could highlight which pages have MA17 ratings by putting an "*" beside the page title in the archive and letting them know that "*" pages are for mature viewers only... so the viewers don't have to read it if they don't want to (or if their parents happen to be in the room)...

Well.. that's one thing you could do...

Another could be to put warnings on the page before... like on your comments or something that the next page will have mature content.
That's what I did with one strip that had full nudity (non-lewd, and context and character sensitive)... I may just do that for the strips that occasionally break the Web14 rating... but I'm trying not to.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

This site is Rated Web 14-Web MA: Suggestive Dialogue, Strong Language, and Fantasy Violence (for the most part). Partial Nudity may occur, but is unlikely.
This way I don;t have tio worry about my rating any more, and keep doing what I want... this especially helps as I have redesigned how the current Arc is going to flow towards the end.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

I'm late on this, but what about Web-14+?  I mean, Sims has partial nudity, if pixelated sex is your thing, and it got away with a Teen 13+ rating.  You can even make them have an orgy and with the right hacks, they can have as much anatomical detail as Ken and Barbie.  Okay, that's me being silly, but do you see what I mean?  I think the MA rating is unnecessary for your comic, as everyone else fits under the PG-13 rating with the exception of partial nudity.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

no... sex is not something that is slated to come up in the comic... I can't foresee it anyway...

Web14 already means Web14+... Web 14 covers all the way until 17... in which MA begins, which is 17+
on top of that is Web NC-17... which means NOONE under 17 should view... this is 17+ only
on top of that there is Web X, which is 18+

Well, Partial nudity can happen in a PG-13. I swear I've seen it. And Partial Nudity is covered in Web14 as well.

But this way with Web14-MA, i think it properly describes my range of content... and its mostly MA for the language content, plus with how this Arc will end, there could be the violence factor that i can easily cover in this rating if I end up pushing the rating too much... but I'm trying not to.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com