News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

New site's layout VS. Internet Explorer

Started by dragyn, January 28, 2007, 12:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragyn

Okay, I'm starting another project (more of a side project, really) on my site.  It's another comic, but that's not the problem.

The problem, of course, is that I'm really not any good at making websites.  I can do all right, like I did with Beastling, but I'm apparently doing something wrong with this one.

This site looks fine on Firefox or the like, but IE puts the text that should go at the bottom at the side.  I've found workarounds for the other minute differences, but it still insists on putting that at the right.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's something in the code I wrote (entirely in notepad), and I can't figure it out. All help will be appreciated.

(And I'll get the newsbox here, too, if necessary.)

fesworks

Yes, IE and Firefox cannot cooperate on Text size...if you want things to fit on Firefox like they do in IE.. best bet is to make the text one size smaller.... well, that's what I do anyway. Even thouhg I edit my pages wirh Frontpage.

I only have Firefox to view pages... so I can't see what's wrong.  Maybe start a new paragraph instead of a line break? I dunno.

... Holy Crap, just notepad??? :( I'm sorry :(

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Gwyn

Quote from: fesworksYes, IE and Firefox cannot cooperate on Text size...if you want things to fit on Firefox like they do in IE.. best bet is to make the text one size smaller.... well, that's what I do anyway. Even thouhg I edit my pages wirh Frontpage.

I only have Firefox to view pages... so I can't see what's wrong.  Maybe start a new paragraph instead of a line break? I dunno.

... Holy Crap, just notepad??? :( I'm sorry :(
It's not really that hard to do a basic site using a text editor. I use a fancy text editor for mine!
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

fesworks

doing all that raw HTML is a pain in the ass though... I remember when I had to do that before I founf the wonderful world of dowloading.... stuff... *cough*

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

You people are using GUI text editors? You kids, with your mice, and your copying, and your pasting! I'm still using a command line editor, and that should be good enough for anyone!

Also, get off my lawn! :-P

fesworks

I tried using Dreamweaver, but I have no time to figure out that thing unless I am forced too... Like I was with Photoshop... While I started working on Ardra, I've learned more about using photoshop than I cared too... and I still don't know how to do most of the things in it! :P

*accidently hits baseball into Xepher's porch window*

RUN!!!!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Omega0

Well, there's a number of small errors like:
* You have two HTML tags
* There's some table content in the HEAD and the HEAD isn't closed when the BODY starts
* On line 51 there's an extra quote
* Immediately after that, there's two FONT tags, but only one gets closed
But browsers should be robust enough to ignore those.

The offender is:
When you define the table, you use ALIGN=LEFT causing all content after it to go to the right of the table if possible.  Firefox decides to put it below since there's not enough space on the right & you have a bunch of P's and CENTER's.  IE just pushes the page size beyond the screen.  You can fix this by
* remove ALIGN=LEFT from the TABLE on line 17
* add
after the table on line 136

(Using http://validator.w3.org/ can help find a number of errors, but it also gets anal about stupid things like 'every IMG should have an ALT' just in case someone's out there still using lynx).  You also might find it useful to use an editor with indent and syntax highlighting (I personally use Vim, but that has lots of commands to memorize and requires a flow chart to use).  It's easier to see when something is left unclosed when it syntax highlights normal code as a string, or indents where you don't expect.

dragyn

I'm on the wrong computer at the moment, my Bro is on the one with all my files.  I'll fix it in a bit, and add in the Newsbox.  (I'm assuming I need it, since some people will likely read it but not Beastling)  If it ever gets too big, I'll apply for a site of it's own.  For now, it's more of a side project than something I think I can update regularly.

@Fesworks:  It's not too hard to use the codes, it's just a bit easier to make mistakes, and harder to find them afterward.  That's what forums are for, though.  Right?  ;)

@Xepher:  I'm not on your lawn, and I'm just using the same Notepad that came with Windows.  Sorry if we upgraded from the old 486 computer.

@Omega:  I'll have to remember that address.  I think Databits gave it to me before, but I forgot about it.

I think I'll stick with Notepad for now...I'm sorta' used to it at this point.

Thanks all for the prompt replies!

EDIT:  I fixed it, thanks, all!  (again)

Gwyn

*Spins out on xephers lawn*

TAKE THAT YOU CRAZY OLD MAN!

*lights gnomes on fire*
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Databits

Another thing with IE7... For all you who have some sort of image serving script on your site. You MUST set the http header "Etag" for served images via a script along with other headers to make it act and display properly in IE7. This is in addition to the normal headers that you've got to set normally as in the caching and content type.

As for text sizes, stick with the built in sizes and don't use pt or px sizes if you can at all avoid it. The reason is, these, unlike things like xx-small, x-small, small, medium, large, x-large, and xx-large, do not always resize correctly for people with their font sizes increased. In addition, when dealing with padding and margins, try to go with em units instead of px units. In addition, if you are making any sort of divs using the "position" attribute of CSS, all the divs enclosing that div must have a position attribute set to make it function correctly in IE vs FF.

Finally, don't forget that IE6 != IE7, and even if it displays right in one, that doesn't mean it displays right in the other. Thank Microsoft and their incompetent non-backwards compatible design for that one. There are some certain thing that you need hack jobs for in IE6 (things like PNG translucency) that you shouldn't use in IE7 unless you want stuff to break. So then you end up with all those ugly conditional javascript statements as well.

In addition... Xepher WTB VIM plz!?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

dragyn

Okay, data...you sort of lost me in there.  Near as I can tell (or remember, I'm not on the right computer ATM) most of what you said shouldn't affect my work.  Am I right?  If not, I should probably fix it...

EDIT:  Newsbox is added.  I actually changed the layout.  The grey just doesn't work as well here as it did with Beastling's site.

Also...you mentioned an "extra quote," but I'm not sure where you mean.   Care to elaborate for me?

Thanks again, guys!