News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Do we have FastCGI? And the terrifying prospect of a Movable Type upgr

Started by reinder, February 15, 2007, 01:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Oh, and anyone that wants to try it out for their site right now, let me know, I can set it up on your account semi-easily to see if it improves performance for you. I just don't want to do it for all 300+ users until I get the new server.

I should perhaps explain what it does, and what's the advantage. Basically, instead of starting a new instance of PHP each time you run a script, it spawns a few instances of PHP and then keeps them running for a while. This majorly reduces the overhead for busy sites, because it doesn't have to load the php program for every page. Smaller, not so busy sites may not notice much difference, though if someone flips through a lot of php pages real fast (such as when browsing a forum) it seems to help.

Reinder: I think we could even make this work with your blog, now that I understand wtf is going on behind the scenes. :-)