News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

A New Project! Webcomic Reviews in 60 seconds!

Started by fesworks, February 28, 2007, 03:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Well, not incredibly new, But it is starting to pick up!

I started doing 60 second segments for Infendo.com's Infendo Radio Podcast called "2 Cents in 60 Seconds". Soon I spun off and started doing a few video game reviews and now Webcomic reviews.

I have several webcomic reviews already done. Mostly I'm working in The Webcomic List forums and getting good feedback. I have a whole list of comics I plan to do, but It basicallly is when I read through an archive and I feel I know what I want to say.

It's hard to limit what you want to say about a webcomic to 60 seconds.

It basically boils down to a recommendation netcast. I only do a review if the comic is worth recommending. If you were to give a scale, I would not go lower than a "50%" which would be a "Recommended for Others" which means that I don't, but I can see how others could like it.

http://fesworks.com

(yes I plan to do reviews of comics over here too ;) )

Opinions?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Listened to the Rayman review. The format works well, even though you stuttered once or twice, but that's to be expected with trying to say "Rayman vs. raving rabbid rabbits really realizes the revolutionary reactions reviewers requested" or whatever it was. I don't know how many takes you did, but it would sound a lot more professional if you redid it until you got one without the slipups.

Can't say I entirely agree with you on the review itself, as I found the early game fun, but the later bits just tedious complications of the early stuff. But that's just opinion, and what reviews are all about.

Put the mic more beside your face instead of in front of it, your "P"s came out clippy.

Enough dissing, you're doing a much better job than 99% of similar things online. Good luck!

fesworks

well thanks for the feed back!

I usually do 2-3 takes. I have a Text file set to a certain size so I know about how long 60 seconds of texts usually is. My takes are usually me stumbling over words :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Munerift

...but you're so cute while your chattering on. ;)

*runs away*
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Omega0

The vast quantity of webcomics out there still has me beat, I can only recognize two (maybe three) of those.  The one I listened to sounds fine.  I wouldn't have thought 60 seconds would work, but comes off as just enough information to spark interest.  I need to set aside some time to listen & visit.

fesworks

i know its a bit gimmicky, but people like that, and its not too much out of their time too ;)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

You should do high-science lectures in the 60 second format. Kinda like an audible version of Seed's Cribsheets or...

Hmm, just found these in my bookmarks. Symmetry: Explain it in 60 Seconds I KNEW it was a good idea! Oh well, I guess you could just read those. :-)

fesworks

Ah, I was hoping they had audio files too :P

I may test if they can be explained in 60 seconds... I know it mya take some people longer to read those, I know I do. I got a bit of un-diagnosed dyslexia myself.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

I'll be revamping the site soon.... well, I'm working on it now.

I'll be making the main page so it has a Xepher new box on it since it has taken off (more or less) as a site of its own than as a hobby.

the samples pages:

http://fesworks.xepher.net/TCSS/index.php

http://fesworks.xepher.net/TCSS/archive.php

http://fesworks.xepher.net/TCSS/voids.htm

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Desh

I listened to Voids, Concerned, and Abstract Gender.  You do nice analyses.

Your site looks pretty good.  I like the green color scheme.  It's not a common web color and soft on the eyes.

There are two minor problems.  On each of the pages you linked, the menu (forum, contact, archive, criteria) is different.  Second, your meta tags are the same as PSI.  Keywords don't really matter, but the description is what's displayed on Google

From here on out it's nitpicking! ;)

The pages feel slightly chaotic.  It's mainly the index and bottom of the pages.

The index gets it from all the different distances and lines.  Like the difference between the news block and archive block and the lines around Voids on the list.  The bottom just has so much stuff in varying sizes.

On the review page, you've two links that go back to the page they're on.

And the copyright sign doesn't work on the index and archive pages.  Though it does work on the review pages.

fesworks

thanks for the comments! I'll work around some of that, but most of the layout I want to keep the same, but I have some more ideas I test.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

Quote from: Desh on June 06, 2007, 05:46:27 PMThe pages feel slightly chaotic.  It's mainly the index and bottom of the pages.
Actually, I have to agree.  Maybe it's a clash of personal aesthetics, but having to search for the menu on each page makes me want to hit the back button.

Aside from that, I do like the color scheme.  I haven't seen that color used as much.  The red donate button, which I think I know why it's red, bleeds into the background though, so maybe a darker red would help it?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

Wait.. The Index PAGE or the site links?

Also, the bottom is the least of my concern since most people usually ignore all that information. :P

I would do more of a re-vamp, but I'm limited in my time.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

Ok, I re did a few things on all three pages. Hopefully its a bit nicer to look at now.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

Much nicer, IMHO.  *prods the red donation button*  Owie. :P
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)