News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

'Ardra" gets mention in the Indianapolis Star!

Started by fesworks, March 07, 2007, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

The writer sent me the word and is sending me a copy of the Article:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703070333

Jason's clip from the article (which has other webcomic authors and stuffins'):

QuoteJason Dunstan, Indianapolis, "Ardra"
On getting the idea for his webcomic.
"Ardra sort of just came to me out of the blue, at least in her current form. The idea of a genius raising kids as a science experiment just struck me as funny, and rather unique. She's sort of loosely based on a friend of mine, who helps me write the comic and brings a much-needed woman's perspective to the writing. Some of Ardra's quirks are my own, though, like her disdain for the 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality. Ardra was a side character in a sort of 'Charlie's Angels'/spy/superhero parody thing I was working on called 'D.I.N.G.B.A.T. Squad!,' but that never really got past the planning stage. Ardra, Gordie, and Della all came out of that comic, though."
On collaborating with an artist to draw "Ardra."
"After a while drawing the comic myself, I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't good enough to succeed at a professional level. My art was as good as it was going to get, and I couldn't afford the type of equipment and software it would take to make it look better. So I put out the call for an artist, and got an e-mail from Trevor Adams, who liked my comic and wanted to help me out. He really did a great job with the characters, plus he had a bit of recognition as the original artist of the hugely popular 'Least I Could Do.' Unfortunately, his day job really kept him busy, so the comic updates came rather sporadically during his tenure. In October 2006, he went on vacation. I never heard from him again. Not knowing exactly what to do, I asked some of my fellow comickers on The Webcomic List forums for some guest artist spots, and several of them helped me out. Around the new year, Fesworks from 'PSI' decided to join 'Ardra' as the new artist, and we've had regular updates since his first comic on Feb. 4. He's been great so far, really working hard on the comic."
On his plans for "Ardra."
"Well, I'd like to be able to live the ultimate webcomicker's dream -- quitting my real job! I'd like to be making enough from 'Ardra' to pay the bills, at least. Ultimately, I'd love to see this comic turned into an animated show, but that may be a pipe dream. As long as I've got a good, loyal base of readers, I'll be pretty happy. Storyline-wise, I'd like to delve into Ardra's past a bit, and introduce some more characters into the "Ardra" universe. Maybe Ardra will even manage to get a date -- or even find the high-IQ man of her dreams."
Unfortunatly there are not any links on the article as I could see, but anyone searching for 'Ardra' will easily find us.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

Oh wait.... here's another article with it aparently:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070307/ENTERTAINMENT/703070426

snippit:

QuoteArdra Renelsior may be the most brilliant woman in comics.

A scientist by trade and temperament, Ardra is a whiz at quantum physics and manipulating DNA. To her, an IQ of 256 is a bit on the low side. Together with her equally brainy daughters Eileen and Lenore, whose upbringing Ardra regards as her grandest experiment, the Renelsiors make the women of "Blondie" and "Cathy" look like simpletons.
But you can't read Ardra's adventures in any newspaper. That's because "Ardra" is a webcomic -- a comic strip published only on the Internet.
The brainchild of 33-year-old Indianapolis resident Jason Dunstan, "Ardra" is part of an explosion of creativity that has a loyal fan base on the Web but is largely unknown to readers of traditional print comic strips. One source lists 8,300 webcomics that are updated regularly.
They rang
article talks of other comics as well, but Ardra starts it off ;)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Cool! I'll watch for a spike in traffic and see if it generates any traffic. Congrats on the feature by the way.

fesworks

Thanks!

Well, according to our counter, viewing for Wednesday is up by at least 100 since last Wednesday!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

http://xepher.net/stats/ardra/

Definitely a spike on the 7th, and today's strong so far too. Check out the refering site report too. Only 111 who actually clicked from the indystar site, meaning the rest of "new" visitor traffic is from the paper version of the paper and they typed it in. You can regenerate fresh stats from the account management interface whenever you want to (which is what I just did.)

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com