News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Hacked! (Or "Why I Hate People")

Started by Xepher, September 11, 2005, 12:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

There is a shield.... it's called take the server offline. :P

Other than that, isn't much you can do other than be very carefull on security detail.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

shadow-alchemist

*shivers* This reminds me of when I used to be a PHP programmer...I hated and still hate hackers. I remembering doing all that wonderful verification with numbers and letters just to check for a real person at some point, which is really the best that I could do against a program trying to get in. That worked for programs, but not so much real people. Real people are trickier to deal with.

(Makes me almost glad I stopped programming. Almost.)

Xepher

First off... don't panic! Nothing too bad/dangerous, just an explanation for why everything was slow/down for part of today (10/31.) The entire data center became the target of a massive DoS attack. Seems to have basically been a ping flood, as (when I could actually get into the server) I shut down every service, which should mean NO network traffic at all, yet the card was still getting over a megabit every second. Then I lost even my extremely slow connection. When it came back up, the server no longer responded to pings, but everything else worked fine. I think they're blocking all pings to the datacenter right now to fend off this attack.

People should be beaten with a dull spoon.

Databits

(o.O)    

dragyn

Hmmm...So here got hacked too, then?  Looks like several webcomic hosring sites (basically the only ones I ever bother keeping up with) have been hacked this month.  At least, several of the ones I've visited have mentioned something like this.  

Weird...

Databits

I never fully understood why people do crap like that. It gives up programmers a bad name.
(o.O)    

Xepher

Oh yay... another hack! Server was down for about 3 hours. Malacious javascript was added to all index files that was designed to infect windows machines with viruses and spyware. The added code opened a tiny iframe that loaded another site. I ran a script that searched for the added string and removed it from all pages. It should be completely clean, but if you encounter any virus warnings or other "odd" behavior from a xepher.net site, please let me know. The original exploit was a bug in OpenSSL, the supposedly "SECURE socket layer" library. I find it ironic that all the major hacks I've seen recently have all been in security software, like the virus scanner and such.

I hate people.

maniac_wolfman

Hmmm, well I guess as long as you caught it in time it's all good.

Phew, I had been uploading some files...then when I went to check on the results the site was down....

For a few seconds there I was like "I....broke Xepher....."

Xepher

Heheh... No, you didn't, but someone else sure gave it a good try.

griever

Man, people...today just seems to be the day when I learn (more) about how horrible the human race is.  Thanks for fixing it so quickly, Xepher.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

There are people out there that are truely stupid, simple as that.
(o.O)    

Xepher

I'm a moron... as I tracked down more hacking, I seem to have killed the webserver, and then I went to bed (it was 6am) without checking it. It was off the whole time I slept. My bad.

reinder

Ha! That just proves that it happens to the best of us.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

Databits

(o.O)