News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Those Little Domain Icons

Started by jekkal, April 22, 2007, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jekkal

How do I make 'em, basically?

They seem like a good thing to have, especially now that FireFox shows 'em off in such a way that it seems silly NOT to use 'em...

fesworks

make a BMP file with a simple image on it.

after you are done, change the extention to *.ICO

upload it to you base directory.

can anyone confirm that? I think That's what I did.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I don't know about currently, but it used to be more complicated. It had to be an actual .ico (windows icon) file, not just a bmp. It had to be specific dimensions, and it had to be named "favicon.ico" and put in your base directory. That, of course, is to get it to work with IE back in the day. Firefox I know supports png files, and higher resolution icons, as well as some option that lets you link the icon via a metatag. Haven't looked at it in years though. Hmm...

Yup, as I thought, Wikipedia knows all!

dragyn

Yup, mine (while not fancy, I admit) is just favicon.ico, made as a .bmp with the file extension changed.

There are probably other ways to do it, but I tend to go with what works...

jekkal

Quote from: fesworksmake a BMP file with a simple image on it.

after you are done, change the extention to *.ICO

upload it to you base directory.

can anyone confirm that? I think That's what I did.
Just to make sure, Base directory vs. the public_html one?

EDIT: nm, got it!

Xepher

Base directory for your website is the public_html folder itself. Usually, I refer to the directory above that (/home/username) as your "home" directory to avoid confusion. Theoretically, you can put the icon only in a subfolder on your site, and it will only show up for that folder I believe... at least in some browsers. Usually not much point in that.

dragyn

The only reason I can think of for doing that would be if I decided to give PE its own...not much point in that, yet.

Thu

Oo.. now I see your site. Nice favicon.  ;)

amuletts

Okay I have added favicon.ico to the base directory.  I dones not seem to show though.  Am I missing something?

Xepher

It shows up for me. I'm using Firefox3. I bet it's a browser issue. Try a full shift+reload.

amuletts

Okay it's showing up now - yay!