News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Toys!

Started by Xepher, September 12, 2005, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Never tried dell laptops... perhaps next time that's what I'll aim for.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

trekkie1701c

Quote from: XepherHeheh... we've got something like that set up in our living room already. Though no plasma TV, just a regular one. Well, the whole thing is the ghetto version of that. Much older Via board, less ram, smaller hard drive, and just a cheap usb joypad for a remote. Still though, it's networked, and so I can play all my downloaded videos and music in the living room... AND it's got a SNES emulator on it, with nearly every rom ever made, so that's nice as well.

Now if only I could build one into my car...
Well, the CPU for the setup would be very small (depending on how much I modify the case I get and how small a space I can cram the stuff into), maybe about a foot wide.  And if you buy the right equipment, it's cheap.  Like this one: http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1601 (yes, that's a normal sized soda can)
What are you looking here for?

willsan

Quote from: trekkie1701cWell, the CPU for the setup would be very small (depending on how much I modify the case I get and how small a space I can cram the stuff into), maybe about a foot wide.  And if you buy the right equipment, it's cheap.  Like this one: http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1601 (yes, that's a normal sized soda can)
You might need to step up the hardware a notch or two.  Our rig uses a 1GHz Nehemiah chip, and it chokes on DVDs and DivX files when there's a lot of moving objects on the screen.  (the slipsteam effects from Andromeda are really bad for this, they play at about 3 FPS)  I doubt a 533MHz Eden like you linked to is going to be enough if you want to watch compressed movies and TV shows.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
If this predicament seems particularly cruel,
consider whose fault it could be:
not a torch or a match in your inventory.

Databits

A lot of that has to do with the video card and memory as well.
(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

Quote from: willsan
Quote from: trekkie1701cWell, the CPU for the setup would be very small (depending on how much I modify the case I get and how small a space I can cram the stuff into), maybe about a foot wide.  And if you buy the right equipment, it's cheap.  Like this one: http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1601 (yes, that's a normal sized soda can)
You might need to step up the hardware a notch or two.  Our rig uses a 1GHz Nehemiah chip, and it chokes on DVDs and DivX files when there's a lot of moving objects on the screen.  (the slipsteam effects from Andromeda are really bad for this, they play at about 3 FPS)  I doubt a 533MHz Eden like you linked to is going to be enough if you want to watch compressed movies and TV shows.
I planning on something with a bit more power - that's not the actual motherboard that I want that I linked to, for most of the reasons you posted.  The one I want, while it has an identical processor to yours, I'm fairly sure I can 'tweak' it a bit (I've got my current 300mhz compy rendering images in Blender at a faster rate than my friends 400mhz computer (which just bit the dust the other day)) on a low-as-possible Video card (2 friggin megs of RAM and no acceleration, only because it was the last ditch after all my other cards didn't want to work).  The one I posted to is pretty much a small (although outdated) motherboard.

Xepher

There aren't many "tweaks" you can do to those boards. The chip is soldered in, and I don't think they overclock well. Like Will pointed out, some videos go down to 3fps in complex scenes. The only way around that is to reencode all the video into something easier to decode, and that's rarely worth the time/effort. Besides, that's way too much ram... go with 512 and spend the other cash on a faster CPU.

As for physical size... yeah, our rig is about a square foot in size. It's running in the box the MB came in.

robynie

I'd be content with an Afterburner pad.

Or two!

Gwyn

I also want a spaceship
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

thefemnazi

I want the really pretty soft handspun yarn that costs $300 per pound.  I want it in every color of the rainbow.  And then I want all the time I need to make it all into blankets that drape around the home that I want to be roommate-free and dog-free.  Oh, and a pony.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Databits

I would also like to have more free time! In the sense that I have very little to myself. If you'd like to take it literally and give me time in it's essence, that's fine too. :)
(o.O)    

Ashley_Rose

I think I'd like it if Harm and I ruled the world. Stupid people would be put on a Jurassic park like continent and their ability to breed taken away (aka, they'd have NO genitalia). It would be nice.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.

trekkie1701c

Quote from: XepherThere aren't many "tweaks" you can do to those boards. The chip is soldered in, and I don't think they overclock well. Like Will pointed out, some videos go down to 3fps in complex scenes. The only way around that is to reencode all the video into something easier to decode, and that's rarely worth the time/effort. Besides, that's way too much ram... go with 512 and spend the other cash on a faster CPU.

As for physical size... yeah, our rig is about a square foot in size. It's running in the box the MB came in.
You haven't seen me and computers then, Xepher.  I kinda run them as hard as I possibly can (so therefore the more RAM the better for me.  Processor speed (or the speed the computer takes to do the tasks I give it) isn't all that important to me.  That, and my 300mhz Pentium II (I wish it was an AMD processor...) seems to handle any videos I put on it (star trek, for example).

Xepher

Quote from: Ashley_RoseI think I'd like it if Harm and I ruled the world. Stupid people would be put on a Jurassic park like continent...
Quote from: Bash.org heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and just left them there to die
and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
whatd u think they'd say?
something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

thefemnazi

no, let's leave their genitals unless they're rapists.  Almost everyone deserves the joy that is sex, even when that sex is solo.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Ashley_Rose

But then it would be stupid people procreating. We *don't* want that.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.