News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Chow + drawing = this thread

Started by Chow, May 11, 2007, 03:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chow

yay, an art thread.

If you've seen this on my devArt, forgive me. I'm proud of it, and I like to get crit since as much as I love DA, it's more of a lovefest over there when you post something, even when you ask for critique.

[some kid]: :cool: "wei long....clever..."
[me]: :/
[Ian]: :mad: "Actually....that's his name, JERK!"
[me]: :lol:

dragyn

Critique, you say...

Well, maybe it's just your style, but it seems to me the pattern on the pants should curve with the fabric, so that seems sorta' weird lookin' to me.

I think there may be some things wrong with the basic bone/muscle structures, but I'm not really the one to comment on that...

griever

Agreed with dragyn - the t-shirt molds around the person, but the pants seem stiff in comparison.  Are they pajama pants or the plaid pants that the Hot Topic kids wear?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Yeah, the pattern on the pants... doesn't look right. You can't just paste a pattern into a cutout shape and have it look right. Also, the rest of the image is very clean and minimalistic, so the pants look way too busy. The face could use a little work, the pink under the eyes looks more like cuts than blushing. The hand(?) behind the head. I can't tell what angle we're supposed to be seeing it from (do wrists even bend that way) or why it's pink in the middle. At first, I thought it was supposed to be cat-ears or something, but as there's only one, I'm gonna guess hand.

On the good side, the shading/lighting on most of the image looks quite nice, and the shadow behind her gives a nice depth to an image, without a complicated background.

Chow

thanks so far on the crits, please keep them coming.

Quote from: Xepher...At first, I thought it was supposed to be cat-ears or something, but as there's only one, I'm gonna guess hand.
it is her ear, I just left out the little bit of brown on the other sied that the bangs wouldn't have covered. I know, details, details. Anyway, I thought at least it might look less awkward knowing I didn't try to bend her hand that way (it goes behind her head.)

more importantly, I thought of one for myself: The forearm should go behind the ear it it's going behind the head.

And yeah, I agree with everyone on the pants. again, keep 'em coming.

fesworks

Actually.... I thought the pattern on the pants was on purpopse. I've seen it done before. I personally don't see anything wrong with "pattern masking" when it comes to plaid patterns like that Honeslty I though it looked good as it is.

but the shirt is different. If she's pulling on the shirt down, then the shirt would not still be tight up against the bottom of her boobs.,... unless the shirt was a bit wet there. but it looks soft and dry to me.

also, yea, I think her ear would be a bit higher on the head if its a cat person-like ear... but might be in the right spot if its more of an elf-like ear.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Ah yes, if it's an ear, then the arm does need to go behind. Also, if you continue the bottom line of the ear to where it meets the head, it's going to be below her jaw. If it's cat/animal ears, it needs to go even further up on the head than normal human ears, otherwise it looks wrong (unless it's elephant ears, which also come off the sides of the head. Oh, and arm/ear... one should be casting some sort of shadow on the other, so it's easier to tell one is behind the other.

And fes is right, some stretching of the shirt would pull it away from her chest, also probably put vertical creases in it. (But now I'm just nitpicking.)

Chow

thanks to fes and xeph on the verticle shirt issue. I never would have seen that...

She's a demon, so I'm not sure if there's a rule on the ear height, although you're still right about it's continuing line being low. I think I was going to tilt her head a little to her left, and never did...

fesworks

I reiterate, I think the 'jama pants look just fine.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com