News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

I'm sorry if this question is asked already or whatever.... but...

Started by ren_pii, May 20, 2007, 10:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ren_pii

is there any place on xepher.net where I can manage my site without downloading a ftp program? *totally lost right now* Sorry.  :-\

Xepher

It's sorta covered in the FAQ: "Where's the Automagical Site Generator/Builder/Designer/etc?" which explains that there isn't one, and you directly upload files via FTP (or now, as prefered, scp.)

Databits has written a fairly handy guide to ssh/scp at http://guides.databits.cc/SSH/

I personally prefer WinSCP, as it seems simpler, and focus solely on file transfers. It can be downloaded at http://winscp.net/download/winscp382setup.exe

To use it, you just enter the hostname of the server (xepher.net) and your username/password then hit connect. It'll ask about a host key not in a cache, you tell it yes/okay. Then you'll see your local files on the left pane, and the server files on the right. You can drag/drop things back and forth as you like, as well as operate directly on remote files with right click. That lets you delete things, change permissions, etc.

Databits

I actually prefer WinSCP and Putty to that older windows SSH client now days. Putty/WinSCP have better support for things than the other does. I started writing a tutorial for it, but never actually finished it. If I do write one, I'd prefer to write it using a section on creating a key and uploading that.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

Re-iterated Fes... FTP isn't secure, SCP preferred.  :P

WinSCP functions pretty much exactly the same as an FTP client.
(o.O)    

Xepher

And ftp WILL be going away with the new server, specifically because of it's insecurity.

griever

"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

Quote from: Xepher on May 21, 2007, 08:11:22 PM
And ftp WILL be going away with the new server, specifically because of it's insecurity.

Whoa! Whoa! What?

How will I update????

.... It won't be browser-based "Browse" buttons will it? I <3 my FTP!

Obviously gotta go with what you say ;), but still.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

Again, WinSCP looks, feels, and acts pretty much EXACTLY the same as most FTP clients. It should be a rather seamless transition for people.
(o.O)    

fesworks

So how is it not a "File Transfer Protocal" program then.. if that is basically what it does?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

"File Transfer Protocol" is a singular, specific, proper-nounable protocol. It's was defined by RFC 959 in 1985. SSH (Secure SHell) and SCP (Secure CoPy) while related to each other, are entirely different than FTP. They are (as the names suggest) "secure" in that they encrypt all communication, making it (theoretically) impossible for anyone listening along the way to steal your information. But yes, they do transfer files. So does HTTP, and Email, and pretty much everything else that has to do with a computer. It's all just moving bits around. But HTTP is not the same as FTP, nor SCP, nor any other protocol, even though the end use may be effectively the same (moving a file from one computer to another) they go about it in an entirely different way.

Hope that clarifies things for you. If not, just keep asking. :-)