News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

The "browser icon" and Webpage Fonts

Started by fesworks, November 13, 2006, 03:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

I hate sounding like a wet blanket, but there are a couple things that I have looked for but have never figured out how to do it.

1) you know how sometimes a webpage will have an icon that will be next to the link in your bookmarks, and on the top-left of the webpage itself? how do you do that, or what is the proper term so i can go look it up?

2) also, I use "Creatuve Block BB" or something as a font for my comic text... I would like to use it on my actual page... is there a way to make it so that when people visit the broswer they will download this font so they can see the site as I intend it to look? Or can someone point me in the right direction for that?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Font installs are tricky. For one, fonts are often copyrighted, so you can't just give them away. Secondly, every system is different in how it does fonts. Although most systems support truetype these days, the way fonts are installed differs greatly between mac, windows, and linux. I believe IE has a mechanism for doing "live" font downloads, but from what I recall, it's often disabled as it's a security risk to the user. Who's to say your font isn't a virus?

As for the icon... just search for "favicon.ico" in google and you should get a dozen pages explaining how to do it. Alternately, just look at the source code for a page that does what you want, and you can find the link icon metatag.

fesworks

Dang, oh well, I guess I'll stick to Arial, and re-make my text-images with the font I like.

I've tried looking into the source for several pages, but It seemed like the script went to some other page, or I didn't know what the hell I was looking for or doing.

In anycase, now that I have that word, I should be able to find what I'm looking for! Thanks much!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Yet another question for me to mooch off of!

Thank you, Fes!

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

In another response to this in terms of fonts. I know of many sites that decide to use images with their fonts for text on their page. This is an extremely bad design approach as, while you may be able to read your site, another may not. This is due to images not being scalable like fonts in terms of font size handling in a browser.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

fesworks

Well I wasn't planning on making all of the text images, but the things like Titles and Side Panel stuff.... like what I have now.. only reone in a new font. I'll stick to Arial or Comic Sans for the rest....

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Gwyn

Woah Woah Woah. Don't ever ever use Comic Sans ever again.

Ever.

For Reals.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

http://bancomicsans.com/

Actually, I kinda like it, but only for certain applications. You can't use it for paragraph text or anything that needs to be really readable. Generally speaking, you have to make it several points larger to keep the same readability, so it's really only good if you want to make titles and give a "crayon" feel to things. Very limited application.