News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

I can't delete things. :(

Started by crescens, June 27, 2007, 08:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crescens

I was trying to delete a few folders that I no longer use, and it says I don't have persmission to do so, even though there's nothing in the folder.  Is there a way to delete those pesky folders?

Thanks in advance.

Xepher

Well, first off, it's really hard to look for problems with a folder if you don't tell me what folders you're having problems with. :-) Secondly, there most likely IS something in those folders... a cursory glance at your public_html directory listed at least 8 hidden files. My guess is your FTP client or whatever is set not to show hidden files. A less likely option is that you have the folder set to read only, and your client doesn't know to change that before trying to delete it. The least likely option is that there really is some file or folder that's owned by another user (such as the webserver) and you genuinely don't have permission to delete it. Check the first two and let me know, as the last one is something I'd have to manually correct. If you're still having trouble,  make sure to tell me exactly what files/folders, because I'll probably just delete them directly.

crescens

I really don't know how to make my FTP client show hidden files...  I fiddled around for it a little, and... I guess I'm just not tech-savvy. +___+
The folders I'm trying to delete are: cheese, comic, comic1, forum, and manual. 
This seems to be happening pretty often though, is there another client I can use that will allow me to see hidden files?

Xepher

Yeah, each of those have some hidden files, most of them are part of scripts you installed.

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php is the client I'd recommend, it's actually SCP/SFTP, which is better and more secure than FTP. And since FTP will be going away with the new server, good idea to get used to something else now. It'll show hidden files, properly delete folders with hidden files in them, and do file permissions correctly, if/when you need it.

If you find winscp too confusing, Databits wrote a good tutorial for a similar SSH/SCP program that you can find at: http://xepher.net/forum/index.php?topic=315.0

crescens

Alright, I will try that out.  Thanks for everything!

Witchiebunny

Xeph? Databit's SSH guide is no longer up at that url...>.>;;

Xepher

Doh! Looks like he changed to lower case for the directory. Try http://guides.databits.cc/ssh/

Databits

oops

Honestly, I'd recommend going with WinSCP and Putty (if you need shell access) at this time. I'm sorry I haven't done a guide for either yet, but they really aren't too hard to learn. The other SSH client that I wrote a guide for is kinda out of date and not quite as nice, but it'll still get the job that most here need done.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]