News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Movies...

Started by Xepher, July 03, 2007, 06:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

...That you probably shouldn't watch while drunk.

I just watched a movie starring Madonna, Snoop Dog, David Bowie, Robert De Niro, Emilio Estevez, Jimmy Fallon, and Jason Batemen. And it was made by Luc Besson, the same guy that made The Fifth Element. How many of you can actually guess what movie that is?

The answer, is "Arthur and the Invisibles" which is actually a rather amusing movie. It has several problems, especially with timing, but overall is quite fun to watch. There's a lot of offbeat humor in it, similar to Red vs. Blue, or movies like Airplane. It's also got that moral-story thing going, like Secondhand Lions... but most of all, it's just completely wack! I mean, I'm drinking and watching this, and there are points where I just have to go "Did that really just happen, or did I make that up?" I mean, it's crazy, but really in a fun way. There's a fight scene that takes place on a turn table, and people are doing sword/fight moves to "Staying Alive." Snoop Dog's character had just served everyone "Genie Juice" which leaves everyone puffing green smoke too... It's that bizarre.

The other movie I've watched that had a similar effect was "Hudson Hawk" staring Bruce Willis. Another one you really have to watch twice, just to make sure you're not seeing things.

pigeon-wing

Saw the words "David Bowie" and immediately decided to rent whatever movie you were talking about. It wasn't amazing, but some of the character designs were cute - like that little mouse guy (Mino?). I couldn't believe it was made by the same guy that did The Professional! I had to check my copy of it to make sure. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as you did, but that might be because I'm not allowed to consume alcohol XD;
I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.

reinder

I've been meaning to watch this one. I like Besson's early work, like Quest for Fire, I like animated fantasy, and I like David Bowie as an evil wizard. I'll look for it in the stores.

Besson wrote this as a series of children's novels before making the movie, though he did intend to make the movie from the start. It's one of his pet projects, you could say.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

Xepher

Yeah, now that you mention it, it is the same guy that did Leon (The Professional.) Odd, because I watched both movies the same week... completely by coincidence. :-)

Oh, and I wasn't saying that Arthur was a really great movie or anything, but that it was just highly bizarre... and amusing enough for that factor.

willsan

You know you're in a sci-fi rich environment when it's "Luc Besson, the same guy that made The Fifth Element." and not "Luc Besson, the same guy that made Leon The Professional."   ;D

Also I have to nominate "Moulin Rouge" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" for the don't-watch-them-drunk category.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
If this predicament seems particularly cruel,
consider whose fault it could be:
not a torch or a match in your inventory.

Xepher

Very true... I watched both of those while drunk. The "Lounge Lizard" scene in Fear weirds me out even when sober though.