News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Tabletop Style RPG, Anyone?

Started by Xepher, July 09, 2007, 04:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

if you roll a 9 or 10, that counts as a success. In most cases, you just need one success if you are not rolling against anything. if you get a 10, you can roll again (some abilities have a "9-again" aspect in whcih you can roll 9s again :P )

Well, if you get one success.. you succeed... if you get more, the BETTER that you do... like picking a lock... 1-succees, but you might have caused something else to happen or you bent your tool doing it (depending on the needs of the story and how hard the lock is), or perhaps you were loud in breaking it. 3- you broke the lock without alerting anyone, 5- (which is a critcal success) you may even up disarming an alarm in the process because you were so great.

you can also critcal failure to... which could end up kill you too... because the failures (rolling a "1") work the same way... with no successes, the amount of Fails you get ampliphy how bad you did... trying to aim at a werewolf and shot them? 1 failure, you'll miss.... 3? You might have hit a team mate 5? the gun back fires the bullet into your face :P

I love WoD because story telling overrides things if you need it to, and it makes for a more interesting game than dice chucking, math laden D&D... where numbers are crunched, versus story telling likely events or processes without unpredictable extreme luck or rediculous events just because someone roled a 20 or some crap.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

phantasus

fes: thats rigth!  ;D by the way when you roll more 1s than success it is called botch.

Xepher

Okay, so let's see... we've got Me, Gwyn, Fes, Phantasus, Tsunemori, and Databits... am I missing anyone? (Data, I assume you want to play, as you responded, but didn't exactly say.) That's six people, and I think a good number to try this with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but several of us seem to prefer a WoD game. Data mentioned warhammer, but... Well, how about I say this: I propose we start with a Changeling: The Dreaming game. All in favor, please say so. Anyone opposed, please speak up and suggest your alternative. Also, if you're objecting and suggesting something else, please say how "firm" you are about that. That is, will you still play if we don't take your suggestion? I'm getting player count from this. So even if you "obviously" agree with Changeling from previous posts, check in here again, and say that you definitely plan to play. Oh, other info that would be helpful would be prefered times for playing. Probably a weekly schedule and include your timezone (or UTC offset if you know it.) Also, if you have AIM, your nick on there.

Phantasus: If we end up with Changeling... you mentioned you've been a storyteller a lot before. But I also know you kind of struggle with English. Are you more comfortable reading english than writing it? I'm just thinking it might be better for me to be GM as I can type fast in english... But I also know that I don't really know Changeling the way you do, and I don't want you to get frustrated with a game run by a newbie. :-) Let me know how you feel about it. For that matter, if anyone else might want to GM (especially if the game ends up something besides Changeling) let me know.

Xepher

My "Vote" post...

I'm voting for Changeling.

Best times for me are... just about anything right now. Evenings are probably better on the long run though, so say 6pm to 3am (1800-0300) Central Time (I'm in Texas at UTC-5) any day of the week. Times are pretty flexible though, so I'll consider myself at low priority if other people have more firm time requirements.

AIM: Xepher42

Oh, if we go with text-chat, we'll probably use http://xepher.net/chat/ as easiest. Though if there's enough interest, I can find us an IRC channel/server and get a dice-bot (to do the dice rolls) for us.

EDIT: Wow.... the chat script I linked above. It already HAS dice rolling support. Just type "/roll 3 10" to roll 3 10-sided dice. You can of course change the numbers for any number of dice and side-per-die. You can also add a third +/- option for the more complicated stuff. E.G. "/roll 3 12 -3" subtracts 3 from each roll... not sure exactly what that's for though. I think WoD will just need us rolling d10 anyway. :-)

phantasus

Changeling!!

as for the times, next week im gonna be on Washington DC , so i would prefer anythime at nigth, lets say, 11pm to 2-3 am its all rigth whit me. i want to use the mornigngs and afternoons to spend time whit my brother (im visiting him) and go to museums and parks. but once im back anytime its ok for me, since im on vacation and dont got anything else to do. my time shedule may change once school starts again.  any day of the week would be ok.

dotn got aim...

Xepher: yes, i can read . and dont worry im not a rules maniac, actualy i think i may enjoy playing a lot.  ;D soo good luck new storyteller, whatever you need just ask me. if you want to revew anything whit me , like rules or details you dont understand or want to change or something , just send me a mail or let me know.

fesworks

I have no freaken clue what Changling is... I supposed I could .. "find" it somewhere. I certainly can't afford any new books.

I'm not sure what "time" we'd all plan to get together, but that can be figured out later, except I'm going to say I work every single Fri, Sat, Sun overnight...

but if things work out for me, I Vote for "World of Darkness" Mortals (base book) or ... actually I'm good with anything... I'll give it a shot at the very least.

who's ST-ing?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Gwyn

I'm up for any of it. I work every week night until 12, but that's in my cuh razy time zone. My weekends are the best time for me, since on weekdays my schedule MIGHT change from 8-4, 4-12, or 12-8. But I get laid off in 3 weeks anyway!
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

Fes: I'll have materials for anyone that needs them. You shouldn't need to buy anything unless you prefer to. I know neither gwyn or I has ever played changeling before either, so you're not alone there. That's kinda why I'm looking for newbs for this... so no one gets frustrated with any potential holdups while something gets figured out. This way, we're all in the same boat. Also, I'm probably going to be ST-ing, if there are no objections... Phantasus is the one with the most experience, but english is her second language. Don't get me wrong, it's WAY better than my spanish is, but if we're doing this via text, I think it's probably important to have the ST be able to type fast/clear to keep the game moving. I asked her (earlier in this thread) and she was fine with that. If someone else would like to ST... speak up. I'm not trying to dictatorize this whole thing. I want it to be fun for everyone, so let us know what you're thinking.

As for times: I figure give it another day or two for anyone else that wants in to say so and give a loose idea of their available times.

Gwyn

i'm working 4pm-12am next week. That's um 11:30am -7:30pm PST I think.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

dragyn

Much as I'd love to join in, my schedule is erratic, at best.  I'd probably best sit this one out.

phantasus

soooo...ummmm.... when are we playing?  ???

Xepher

Yeah, I'm still planning to get the game going. I haven't forgotten, it's just that Harry Potter threw everyone's schedules for a loop. :-)

/finally got the book tonight
//is only at chapter 7

Xepher

Well, I've been getting through the player manual a lot slower than I thought I would. I'm still not quite up to speed on stuff just yet, but I'm getting there. How comfortable do the rest of you feel with it so far? Any questions or issues that you've got?

Xepher

fesworks

Well, I think that for now I'll have to bow out. I have not even read the Changling book, and I already have trouble reading texts. Plus with my projects. it is just not seemingly likely, sorry.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com