News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Is Linking to Downloads okay?

Started by Thu, July 10, 2007, 12:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thu

I mean.. I'm did a tutorial on the FTP thing. And I want to link to the site that lets you download the program. Oh-no. It's not from a website where joined programs share trials. Say, I'm doing SmartFTP. I'm going to link to their site: {SmartFTP.COM}. Since it's their site, I don't think it's illegal to link to these for people to download. Is that okay with you, Xepher?

Xepher

I'm not sure of what you're asking... Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't even have a site here yet, so how do I have a say in what you do? Do you mean linking something on the forums? You're free to link to things for any legit purpose... you can't just spam penny-stock links or something though.

Thu

I'm planning on applying for a site here (again). In your rules, you said we can't host download-ables that aren't ours, right? I'm asking is linking to the program's download site okay.

Xepher

Generally, if it's not illegal. You're always free to link to legit sources for something, like an FTP program at that programs official website. You can't link (or otherwise encourage) downloads for something illegal... like pirate copies of photoshop or something.