News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Boobies!

Started by griever, October 01, 2007, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griever

I have nothing better to do, I suppose, than putter around looking for stuff.  But I saw this site, Pink for October (http://pinkforoctober.org/), and thought you guys might be interested in joining.  I like the idea and, well, the cause is a good one.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Gwyn

I do love breasts and hate cancer.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

Gwyn: El Oh El! :-)

*reads site* So should we turn our websites brown next month for colon cancer too? I mean, it kills more people here (america/canada) each year than breast cancer does. What about grey for lung cancer, which kills 50% more people than the other two combined? I joke, but it brings up something that always bothered me. People co-opting an entire month for a single cause. I know just about every minor cause in the world tries to declare it's own week-of-this, or month-of-that, but for some reason breast cancer is the one that gets lots of lavish public attention. It gets stamps from the post office, fundraisers on TV, big fancy dinners, etc. To me, it seems the reason for this is that breast cancer kills rich, white women, who aren't likely to die from much else. In high-income countries, breast cancer only accounts for 1.9% of all deaths (9th ranked cause of death.) It doesn't even show up statistically in middle and low-income countries. Worldwide, literally 9 times as many people die from diarrhea each year as from breast cancer, and even that isn't in the top 5 causes of death... not even in the poorest countries. (Check out http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index3.html to put things in perspective.) The sad part is that we have cures for the diarrheal diseases, the people who need them just can't afford them. Yet we throw tons of money each year at TRYING to find a cure for a cancer that kills a tiny fraction of the people that the curable diseases do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying stop cancer research, it's just that I have a problem with the sheer (and disproportionate) amount of fundraising that's done for breast cancer. Don't come beg me for money to save old rich people.

Sorry for the rant, and I really hope I don't offend anyone who's had their own life affected by breast cancer. It is a serious disease that kills our loved ones, and I don't mean to belittle that pain and loss. I've just been reading a lot of information for my trip to India in a couple days, a lot of it on diseases and how to protect myself from them. It's scares me a bit to be needing preventive anti-malaria meds just for a 10-day trip, and when I see what the people who live there have to worry about all the time... I'm just saying, the majority of the world is lucky if they can live long enough to worry about breast cancer.

Griever: Sorry... I didn't mean to hijack your topic or dismiss the idea. It just got me thinking on things and I got carried away. Don't let my stupid rant stop you (or anyone) from supporting/promoting charity. Any effort with noble purpose is always a good one.

griever

Well, I have to admit, it was kind of disheartening.  I thought that out of all the people, you'd find this more interesting.  Oh well.

Colon Cancer Awareness month is in March.  Not a bad idea.  Maybe you should suggest it to the creators of the site and see if they'd hop on board.

Gwyn

There is a bar here called Doolies. It's basically a chain pool bar, so you guys might have seen or heard of it. In every Doolies there is a pink table to play where half the proceeds go to breast cancer research.

One day we got into a little "discussion" (or argument) with some bartender about how there should be a prostate cancer table and that it should be blue or just a generic yellow table for cancer research in general.

But a blue table with blue balls would be awesome.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

Griever, I really do apologize. I didn't mean to rain on your parade, and I probably shouldn't have said anything at all. It wasn't the time or place for it.

griever

No, it's okay, Xepher.  You did bring up a valid point - people are quite selfish with their money and often overlook the simple things that should get done for the betterment of humanity.  And then the organizations that do get the money are sometimes irresponsible and mismanage it completely (not to mention embezzlement).

Databits

It's no different than Feb being "Black History Month" despite how many year have passed.  :P
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]